You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Supported VATSIM UK aerodromes

Jeff Hall

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Harry Sugden said:

But if you're departing IFR from EGKA and intend on joining controlled airspace,

I realise this is for the UK, however I do have a question in regards to this statement, purely to understand the ATS services provided here.

Does an IFR aircraft that does not enter controlled airspace not receive a service from ATC?

In other parts of the world, an IFR in G must always be in contact with ATC, and receive a traffic information service from the controller, is that not the case here?

• Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kirk Christie said:

I realise this is for the UK, however I do have a question in regards to this statement, purely to understand the ATS services provided here.

Does an IFR aircraft that does not enter controlled airspace not receive a service from ATC?

In other parts of the world, an IFR in G must always be in contact with ATC, and receive a traffic information service from the controller, is that not the case here?

In a word, no.

No clearance or contact with ATC is required to fly IFR in Class G airspace in the UK.

UKAirspaceClassifications.thumb.jpg.bb00cc431698d68848faa7829ed9b3dc.jpg

Edited by Simon Kelsey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vice President, Pilot Training

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

US airspace class G similar to UK = No IFR clearance and no ATC communication requirements for uncontrolled airspace.
... in practical terms, most US airspace abv 700' or 1200' AGL is controlled (class E or better).

Edited by Mike Sweeney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

There is the difference I guess; there are vast areas of UK airspace that are OCAS below FL195.

Chart ENR6-7 shows the extent of controlled airspace (this link will most likely expire by next month, but it should work for now at least).

• Thanks 1

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim