You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SID,is someone know what it is?

Andre Morin 985694

Andre Morin 985694
Posted
Posted

I was ready with my flight plan approved,when the atc Chicago KORD tells me to get to ORD1 radar tower then CLAVU then follow flight plan climb to 3000 .

Ask him what is ORD1

He told me that is a SID,and that is basic stuff, that i should study up a bit in Vatsim pilot corner.

I red a lot.

Did not found the answer yet

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted
I was ready with my flight plan approved,when the atc Chicago KORD tells me to get to ORD1 radar tower then CLAVU then follow flight plan climb to 3000 .

Ask him what is ORD1

He told me that is a SID,and that is basic stuff, that i should study up a bit in Vatsim pilot corner.

From the VATSIM pilot info areas (some of the links on these pages are broken, but the info is OK):

Airport Departure and How to Fly a DP: http://www.vatsim.net/howtoflyadp.html

How to Fly a STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival): http://www.vatsim.net/star.html

Bottom line -- if it ends with a number, it's probably a SID/DP or a STAR.

Running X-plane in Windows XP on a MacIntel... Why do things the easy way?

Dan Bergenholz 958090
Posted
Posted

Do you have FSNavigator?

On the FSN map you can see all SID´s .

You defently need to know more about this issue since it is used for navigation on every flight.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
Do you have FSNavigator?

On the FSN map you can see all SID´s .

You defently need to know more about this issue since it is used for navigation on every flight.

Quite alot of the SID's on FSNavigator are outdated or completely wrong. I'd suggest getting hold of the SID charts and comparing them to what FSNav gives you.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

I was under the impression that a pilot has every right to not accept a SID/STAR, particularly when they are new. If it was busy, like during a fly-in, it is a different story, but if it is fairly quite, the controller should either give you vectors to your first fix, or explain, n a private chat, what a SID is and where to find the info.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Steven there are many controller willing to vector you to a waypoint. I know there are a few vACC's that will try to make you fly the SID. But you can always use that special word "unable". I suggest entering "RDR VECTORS" in your FP before the waypoint that you require vectors to, and I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the controller, if a radar controller, will vector you towards that point, that being if they are not too busy with other traffic. I've flown under the control of many great controllers who have gone out of their way to vector me for my SID's and STAR's, until I made the effort to find and print off the relevant charts and then fly the SID's and STAR's by myself.

There was one airport that wouldn't give me clearance without the SID (no mention of the airport due to obvious reasons), so I decided just to readback the clearance with the SID and then tried my best to find the charts, however I was unable to do so, so just decided to fly what I thought the SID was. hehe luckily there wasn't any controllers online above TWR and not many other aircraft in the air.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

I was under the impression that a pilot has every right to not accept a SID/STAR, particularly when they are new. If it was busy, like during a fly-in, it is a different story, but if it is fairly quite, the controller should either give you vectors to your first fix, or explain, n a private chat, what a SID is and where to find the info.

Yes, controllers should help especially if a pilot is new, but that doesn't mean that pilots should take the view that they don't NEED to learn about what SIDS and STARS are.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Brian Wilber 831268
Posted
Posted

There was one airport that wouldn't give me clearance without the SID

No!! Say it ain't so!

New%20Banner.jpg

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

There was one airport that wouldn't give me clearance without the SID

No!! Say it ain't so!

They have given me radar vectors once when the radar controller was online. But when it was just Tower he cleared my via a SID and on pm he said i could fly direct as it was uncontrolled airspace, due to no positions above TWR being online.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Matthew Kreilein 881422
Posted
Posted

Ask him what is ORD1

I red a lot.

Did not found the answer yet

Andre~

SID means "Standard Instrument Departure". It is the way you get from the airport to the en route (cruise) part of flight. In the USA, they are now called "Departure Procedures" (DP)

NO controller should FORCE you to have the DP to fly.

I THINK what the controller wanted you to do was to pick a point ON the ORD1 chart that was closest to CLAVU (the first point you filed).

If you cannot, then tell the ATC and he will give you the one closest to CLAVU.

Matthew Kreilein

?cid=881422attachment.php?attachmentid=1125&d=1321217166