You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie Question: No Audio [solved]

Eric Rolfe

Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Apologize for this post - I did a search and didn't find this addressed - but I am new to VATSIM. I'm using xpilot (also new to me). I am able to connect to the VATSIM network, and communicate by text with the controller, but I can neither send nor receive audio. I am using a bluetooth headset - I have tried ((receive only) Boltune headphones, and also a pair of Lightspeed Zulu 3's (connected via Bluetooth). I am able to hear sound in X-plane. When I go to Setting - and the Audio/Push to Talk (PTT) tab,, the microphone and output device configuration drop downs show the devices (Boltune or Lightspeed - whichever is connected via Bluetooth).  Setting the output volume all the way up doesn't help. And when I speak into the Lightspeed microphone, I don't see any indication that there is signal coming in. 

(Push to Talk selection works fine, and I can see the TX button light up when I push the PTT on the yoke). 

Is there some issue with using Bluetooth? Any ideas? (probably something simple...).

Thank you. 

Edited by Eric Rolfe
Typographical Errors

Luke Brown
Posted
Posted

Do you have your Com panel in your aircraft set up correctly?

Can you give us a screenshot of how it looks?

xPilot requires you to set up the aircraft's com panels correctly as you would in the real world to transmit and receive.

Network Supervisor | C1 | P1

VATSIM UK

Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted

I've attached a screenshot - Please ignore the first one, since it doesn't show the entire xpilot window.

The RX light was not green in this shot, but it does turn green and I still get no audio. Thanks in advance for the help!

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna go with the generic "Have you checked Windows Volume Mixer?" question. Is xPilot turned up there?

Me.

Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted

Hi Nestor,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, xPilot is turned up in Volume Mixer (see screenshot). I tried plugging in earbuds directly to the PC's audio output to eliminate Bluetooth.

I confirmed that I can hear the engine noise from x-plane, and the alert sounds from xPilot, but still no ATIS/ATC etc.

The RX indicator is lighting up - so I'm thinking I should be hearing it but...nothing.

Thanks!

Eric

xPilot - no Audio- Volume Mixer.png

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

I suggest 'No Input devices found' is the cause of your issue.  Without an input device AFV will not start the audio subsystem.  

Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I plugged in a mic -- no joy. Screenshot below.

Any other ideas?

xPilot - no Audio - with Mic - Volume Mixer.png

Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted

OK - found the problem. xPilot was not Run as administrator.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Cheers,

Eric

• Eric Rolfe changed the title to Newbie Question: No Audio [solved]
Eric Rolfe
Posted
Posted

Hi All, 

One question - does anyone know specifically why xpilot requires admin privileges?

What files or system services does it require access to?

Thanks

Eric

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Not sure why it affected audio input device selection (I wonder if just closing it and re-opening it solved that, actually) -- but generally speaking, if not in Admin mode, it will only detect your push-to-talk if it has primary focus.  Since your simulator will likely have primary focus most of the time, and you'll want xPilot still to be able to detect your mic clicks, you'll be best served running it in Admin mode.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png