You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about "^§" character string in VATSIM Whazzup Data File

Timothy Heckman

Timothy Heckman
Posted
Posted

Hey there,

I'm working on a project to parse the VATSIM Whazzup status / data files. Quite often I see the character sequence "^§" appearing in ATIS information, and I'm trying to figure out the purpose. My initial thought was a UTF-8 encoding issue, but it didn't seem to be that.

Is it meant to represent a newline in the output? 

Cheers!

-Tim

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Newline, yes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Timothy Heckman
Posted
Posted

Perfect. Thank you for the quick reply, Ross.

Cheers!

-Tim

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Tim, I saw another person post a thread about the ATIS lines not parsing correctly and I checked the VAT-Spy code, and found that the newline character sequence is actually ^§ so it seems that the file currently has an extra character in between those two. I'll check with the server guys to see what's up.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Timothy Heckman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Tim, I saw another person post a thread about the ATIS lines not parsing correctly and I checked the VAT-Spy code, and found that the newline character sequence is actually ^§ so it seems that the file currently has an extra character in between those two. I'll check with the server guys to see what's up.

So far in my career in software / site reliability engineering, many have joked that I am a one-man QA team. So, this is pretty on-brand for me to accidentally point this out. 🙂

Thank you for forwarding it along, Ross.