You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hoppie & Vatsim

Luke Williams

Luke Williams
Posted
Posted (edited)

Afternoon all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I was unable to find a similar thread.

For those who don't know of Hoppie, it is an ACARS emulator which allows us to simulate PDC's, CPDLC's, POSREP's, and TELEX.
https://www.hoppie.nl/pub/
This has been kindly provided by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers for many years, and continues to grow in popularity.

However, while the increase in popularity is fantastic, I am seeing an increasing problem.
Currently, all Hoppie data goes through a central server. Not all users using this server are flying/controlling on the VATSIM network.
This has lead to confusing moments where a pilot on the VATSIM network requests a PDC or CPDLC service from a controller on a different network, or where a Heathrow Controller can't log on to provide PDC's because someone on a different network has taken the station callsign.

Granted, it's a first world problem, but I'm interested to know if VATSIM have any intention to set-up a mini-server to work around this.

Edited by Luke Williams

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Tried it. Was absolutely useless in our sim. The intention, and subsequent hard work devoted to this package, was well intended. It just never came to fruition. 

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Lehkamp said:

Tried it. Was absolutely useless in our sim.

It works flawlessly in other home cockpits and it is a joy to work with. Somebody picked up our pizza order that had been sent to our flight dispatch center (next-door) and sent us a funny TELEX message via ACARS:

WF2012_079.jpg.bc35142a5e64ed8befd4a705dcde61e6.jpg

21 hours ago, Luke Williams said:

Currently, all Hoppie data goes through a central server. Not all users using this server are flying/controlling on the VATSIM network.

Yes, this is correct and these issues have been predicted and shared with our VATSIM Devs some time ago. So far they have other, more important projects that they are working on (and I do agree with them), so hopefully we will see some changes re CPDLC/PDC/ACARS in the future.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

There will always be unsubstantiated gossip. 😏

1.jpg

Luke Williams
Posted
Posted
On 7/15/2020 at 12:00 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

It works flawlessly in other home cockpits and it is a joy to work with. Somebody picked up our pizza order that had been sent to our flight dispatch center (next-door) and sent us a funny TELEX message via ACARS:

WF2012_079.jpg.bc35142a5e64ed8befd4a705dcde61e6.jpg

Yes, this is correct and these issues have been predicted and shared with our VATSIM Devs some time ago. So far they have other, more important projects that they are working on (and I do agree with them), so hopefully we will see some changes re CPDLC/PDC/ACARS in the future.

Amazing Andreas. Definitely a good way to convey messages to the crew, and other aircraft during WorldFlight.
Completely understand the Dev team are currently busy with other projects. Let's hope once that project is complete they will have time to hit this one!