You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight simulator 2020

Eric Fisher

Ryan Austin
Posted
Posted

Anyone else noticed how some of the physics from the new footage on YouTube look somewhat questionable? From what I have seen this morning, there does not appear to be proper landing gear strut compression when landing or proper wing flex in different stages of flight.

I'm concerned that XP11 may actually be ahead of MSFS on aircraft physics...

Ryan Austin

ZMA S3 

joinAVA.org CAT V

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Andreas Fuchs

• Eric Fisher

• Brant Marshall

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 8 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 7 posts

• Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher 5 posts

• Brant Marshall

Brant Marshall 4 posts

Popular Days

• Jul 16 2020

12 posts

• Jul 24 2020

11 posts

• Jul 14 2020

6 posts

• Jul 18 2020

5 posts

Popular Posts

Mats Edvin Aaro

Keeping this a secret was hard, I hope you enjoy it as much as we will! 🙂

Robert Shearman Jr

FSX plus 1 = FSY.  I totally get it, and in fact I kinda love it ❤️

Eric Fisher

Well, nvm then my first post. 🤣

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Ryan Austin said:

Anyone else noticed how some of the physics from the new footage on YouTube look somewhat questionable? From what I have seen this morning, there does not appear to be proper landing gear strut compression when landing or proper wing flex in different stages of flight.

I'm concerned that XP11 may actually be ahead of MSFS on aircraft physics...

i would wait till there is addon aircraft. maybe for the default aircraft they dont want to make it all to complex.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

XP-11 may very well be far ahead of FS2020 in this regard, but they've had 11 versions to get it to this point where this is essentially a v1 for the new team. Given the inconceivable leaps ahead this product appears to have taken, I'm more than glad to give them time to evolve the finer points. To have a sim that can give this much eye candy to machines that 90% of us don't even need to raise a dollar to upgrade to get it to look that way is just flat out unprecedented and astounding. Better flight dynamics and physics can advanced in future updates -- and likely will. I'm signed up, ready to go and chomping at the bit. For many people this is like returning to being five years old in anticipation of Santa Claus. This will be the longest 18 days of recent (and not-so-recent) memory.

Brant Marshall
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich Heimlich said:

XP-11 may very well be far ahead of FS2020 in this regard, but they've had 11 versions to get it to this point where this is essentially a v1 for the new team. Given the inconceivable leaps ahead this product appears to have taken, I'm more than glad to give them time to evolve the finer points. To have a sim that can give this much eye candy to machines that 90% of us don't even need to raise a dollar to upgrade to get it to look that way is just flat out unprecedented and astounding. Better flight dynamics and physics can advanced in future updates -- and likely will. I'm signed up, ready to go and chomping at the bit. For many people this is like returning to being five years old in anticipation of Santa Claus. This will be the longest 18 days of recent (and not-so-recent) memory.

I appreciate the Santa Claus comparison.

I come from a game industry background professionally, and it's all too often that people expect a perfectly polished product straight out of the box. When developers state that they're going to continue driving updates into the product after release, that means they're dedicated to fixing the problems the consumers report.

I expect this initial release to have some things that we, as flight simmers, do not appreciate or like but I also anticipate that they are very open to constructive, critical feedback so they can improve the Sim and create what we're looking for. I wouldn't be "afraid" or "worried" about this being behind the times in comparison to XP11 and I say don't worry because the developer has stated that they're committed to pushing regular updates to the sim.

Ultimately, I'd say wait until August 18th to make your decision about the sim - remember, the videos being released by content creators and media are on preview builds, and they're still actively working on  making updates and fixing bugs reported in the closed beta.

I'm sure plenty of content creators are going to stream the new flight sim on release day, so if you wanna save your money until you can watch more content - you won't have to wait too long.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Brant Marshall said:

I come from a game industry background professionally, and it's all too often that people expect a perfectly polished product straight out of the box. When developers state that they're going to continue driving updates into the product after release, that means they're dedicated to fixing the problems the consumers report.

Same here. Spent two decades at the top of the industry. I guess it's not a surprise we'd see this the same way. They've done so many little things in addition to the big things that they've earned the time to mature this. Now don't get me wrong. If they put out a product that's say, buggy as hell, then that would be a mistake. However, a product that's lacking some features? No problem. Take your time. We'll have enough to keep us busy until you get there. Plus, there's the obvious factor we cannot ignore: This is Microsoft involved with one of the most iconic and storied products in the history of computing. Flight Simulator has ALWAYS been worth so much more to them and the industry than simply looking at the profit margin. They may botch it, but I'd be SHOCKED if it was from a lack of trying.

Look at one of the examples we've seen: Flight planning. This v1 product includes FREE, UPDATED AIRAC data that supplies SIDs and STARs for any route if you want it. Is it as good as some of the top flight planners? No, but you don't get what this has in FSX, P3D or XP out of the box. That shows an incredible commitment to this not being another "Flight" debacle. 

I predict that if they put this out and, IF the community SCREAMS about flight models, that the devs will jump all over that and begin to resolve it sooner than later, after any show-stoppers that are likely to materialize from releasing into the larger community. 

It's not easy to excite a bunch of seniors about a game. Microsoft has done it. If this delivers, it'll be one for the history books.

Edited by Rich Heimlich
  • Like 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

....and don't forget: the new MSFS is partially based on code of FSX. Not that it automatically means that it will be bad. Just keep your expectations at a reasonable level to either avoid getting disappointed or be really happy, because it has exceeded your expectations.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Also -- didn't FSX have so-called "realism settings" where you could dial in your preferred level of p-factor, torque effects, and so forth?  It's possible that some of what we've seen has intentionally been done on "easy mode" so the narrator could focus less on flying and more on showcasing the visuals.

All these questions will be answered in less than three weeks... 😉

• Haha 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Donald Stimson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Will we interface in the same way with MSFS as we have in past versions, i.e., for pilots using a pilot client like vPilot? Will there be any differences that we need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Don

Edited by Donald Stimson

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

the full version of the released trailer a few weeks ago.

Christoph Reule
Posted
Posted

Very nice, thanks for sharing! 🙂

Also useful: Microsoft Flight Simulator FAQ

Donald Stimson
Posted
Posted

Thanks!

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, Koen Meier said:

the full version of the released trailer a few weeks ago.

I really like this trailer. In my opinion, it's the best introduction to VATSIM available; it doesn't just focus on the aspect of getting realistic ATC as it also talks about the community aspect, free pilot training, etc.

Edited by Samuel Rey
removed the video from the quote, it was taking up a lot of space for just a quote

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Samuel Rey said:

I really like this trailer. In my opinion, it's the best introduction to VATSIM available; it doesn't just focus on the aspect of getting realistic ATC as it also talks about the community aspect, free pilot training, etc.

It certainly does but then again each has their own opinion on it.

nathaniel mitchell
Posted
Posted

would be good if it worked instead its the one thing that dose not work well with ms2020