You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawk code

Marvin Brooks

Marvin Brooks
Posted
Posted

Good evening.

have a question for the controllers. If a pilot is at an airport and it’s uncontrolled what code do you squawk after take off and your flying IFR. ALSO when there is no controllers on at all, when you get to your destination. 

thank you

Marvin

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

This is country dependent.

Vatsim will force 2200 if you have 1200 set and you are IFR.

ICAO says 2000 until you are given a code by ATC, the USA is 2200

• Thanks 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

Vatsim will force 2200 if you have 1200 set and you are IFR

It may depend on the pilot client used. In swift it does not get changed automatically, for example.

• Thanks 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I don't think any aside from FSInn do it at this point, but I could be wrong. 

But 2200 is just a VATSIM thing.  2000 is probably more "correct" but the reality is that if there's no ATC nearby it really doesn't matter (that much) what you're squawking. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Marvin Brooks
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

It may depend on the pilot client used. In swift it does not get changed automatically, for example.

Thank you for the feed back Robert

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'm not an expert on the 7110.65 but I just looked at 5-2-6 b. 2. where 2200 is mentioned, and it doesn't read like it's used at all the way VATSIM uses it.  I maintain that squawking 2200 to mean "IFR in non-staffed airspace" is entirely a VATSIM invention. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

No, it's not. SATCO and then VATSIM started their existence mainly in the US and for this reason the standard transponder codes were centered on the US point of view. VATSIM's FAA-style flightplan format is another relic of these times.

As Wikipedia shows, these are the standard transponder codes that pilots may use at VATSIM. If you are an IFR flight without ATC, you can also squawk 1234, it does not matter: as soon as you encounter ATC, a discrete code will be assigned to you. For the sake of realism, members usually strive to set realistic non-discrete codes, but that's another story.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Any word on Swift being fixed so aircraft are no longer buried below the tarmac?

Thanks,

Michael

1.jpg

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike Lehkamp said:

Any word on Swift being fixed so aircraft are no longer buried below the tarmac?

Thanks,

Michael

Maybe try the Swift forums https://forums.vatsim.net/forum/347-swift/

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I can tell you here already: no news yet, FS9 functions of swift are only "experimental", as you know. And we just had a change of developers - the focus is currently on transferring the development resources to a new place and get them fine-tuned, then make swift compatible with Vulkan and hopefully with the new MSFS.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, Kirk Christie said:

Maybe try the Swift forums https://forums.vatsim.net/forum/347-swift/

Duh. Already have,

1.jpg

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mike Lehkamp said:

Duh. Already have,

I dont appreciate the attitude.

This posts is on the use of squawk codes in the absence of ATC, of which the only way you have participated in the discussion is by asking about problems with a pilot client, totally un related to the original discussion, to please if it not too hard for you, try and keep discussions on topic. 

• Haha 1

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don, I wasn't aware that soooo many people in this forum feel soooo violated when you point out the obvious to them. I'm not sure what most folks here define the word "Duh" as. But here in the States it merely means "come on man, really?" It's not offensive, vulgar, or anyway meant to attack. And Don, you of all people know that. If this is how fragile people have become than I will refrain from posting here in the future. 

Kirk, I'm truly sorry you felt humiliated. Please except my apology. 

Michael

Edited by Mike Lehkamp

1.jpg

Samuel Sculerati
Posted
Posted
On 7/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, Mike Lehkamp said:

But here in the States it merely means "come on man, really?" It's not offensive, vulgar, or anyway meant to attack.

Not sure what part of the US you're from, but typically saying "Duh" to someone is rude and condescending.

Marvin Brooks
Posted
Posted

Well Maybe I should have been somewhat clear for some people that answered this post. I did not offend me by someone saying duh! I am retired Army and it takes a lot more than someone saying anything that maybe rude. Some can not pass up the opportunity. But anyways I want to say thank you to everyone that chimed in. I knew it is 1200 but what some failed to understand is after you have reached your cruising altitude does it change even when there is no ATC on at all on Vatsim.

Have a good one. 

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Gents, stop; both of you. Having this debate serves no purpose, let it be and move on.

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new