You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SR-71 Transponder - XP11

Lawrence Donnelly

Lawrence Donnelly
Posted
Posted

Hi all, 

I know, it’s probably a controllers worst nightmare, but I’ve been increasingly interested in flying the xplane 11 SR71 on vatsim (normal speeds over land and in range of other traffic). I’ve solved the navigation issue, however the aircraft is not equipped with a transponder so far as I can tell and no plugins/Lula scripts I’ve tried have been successful. 

Im using XP11.40 with xSquawkBox on MacOS. 

If anyone can point me in the direction of a known working way of using a transponder on vatsim in such an aircraft, I would be grateful. 

Cheers 

Lawrence 

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted (edited)

Fraser has replied here:

https://community.vatsim.uk/topic/37098-sr-71-transponder-on-vatsim/

Simply put, if it doesn't have one in the cockpit (or it's not modelled to work), then type:

.x 1234 (including the preceding period - numbers as given)

...to set the squawk code given by ATC.   xSquawkBox should also have a Mode C button on it

Edited by Trevor Hannant
  • Like 1

Trevor Hannant

Lawrence Donnelly
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks. From what I've seen XSB doesn't have the capability to turn the transponder on, but I should be able to find a keyboard command for it in X-Plane's settings.

Cheers

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Maybe there's a way to create a FlyWithLUA script to operate your transponder? Otherwise there's also swift pilot client that has an integrated transponder in its GUI.

Lawrence Donnelly
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

Maybe there's a way to create a FlyWithLUA script to operate your transponder? Otherwise there's also swift pilot client that has an integrated transponder in its GUI.

Thanks. Will give swift a go, been recommended to me on other forums also. I'm not much of a coder, so not sure I'd be able to get stuck into making lua scripts... but thanks for the suggestion

Lawrence Donnelly
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:

For those interested, thanks to the collective efforts of the people on this thread and other forums, several solutions have been found. 

1. As mentioned above, the swift pilot client allows you to input the squawk code.
  2. For Windows users, X-Pilot and V-Pilot also have this capability.
  3. X-Plane's data refs can be accessed and manipulated directly using the plugin below 
  4. I found a plugin called 'Command Line' that allows you to input your squawk code. This, when used in conjunction with a lua script called "Pilot Edge Helper" (works for vatsim also), allows you to input a squawk code and then cycle the transponder through its modes, with a visual indication. The Command Line plugin is however bug - ridden in some places, most notably where you can no longer change the last two digits of the com radios through the radio stack and it doesn't quite leave one radio frequency when calling another.
  5. X-Plane 11 also has keyboard bindings for the transponder mode.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Lawrence

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30859-universal-autopilot/

• Like 1

Matt Mamuzich
Posted
Posted

Came here to share exactly that, I found Pilotedge helper a while back when having a similar issue in another jet. Works pretty flawlessly on my end. When tuning frequencies I sometimes just use the command in xpilot and havent had any bugs that way.

https://github.com/tarakanbg/pilotedge_helper