You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

POLL - MSFS 2020... Yay or Nay? Concerns about it.

Klaus Schmitzer

Is the native support of MSFS 2020 a good thing for VATSIM, or is it bad?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

• Good
    • Bad

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/18/20 at 08:23 AM

Klaus Schmitzer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello! 

First, I believe that these words are true: "The more people, the more fun." 

But there is simply a somewhat itching feeling- or as the title says- a concern that our VATSIM world drifts a bit towards an acarde flight game if the entry is too easy. 

I hope that all the regulations and requirements for vatsim stay valid when the new sim comes and that there is the possibility to at least easily report "players" when they are not willed to stay inside the rules of vatsim. 

As I now have seen very positive but also negative reactions about this development I wanted to know what you guys think? 

Edited by Klaus Schmitzer

500x125 SpecsSig2020_OCT.png

Ryan Austin
Posted
Posted

I think the standard will remain the same. And people who aren't up to the standard will not be comfortable using VATSIM until they are more knowledgeable. 

Ryan Austin

ZMA S3 

joinAVA.org CAT V

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

From what I've seen, FS2020 looks like it aims to be a realistic simulator to at least the same degree as FSX; yes, it probably also appeals to "gamers", but as long as it can provide the realism that is needed for something like vatsim, I don't think there is a serious risk. We kick people for doing grossly unrealistic things no matter the sim, I don't think this will be any different with yet another simulator on the network.

23.png

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted

Don't forget the upcoming changes to the P ratings and in particular, the P0 rating which will be required if a member wants to fly on the network. So in future, new pilots should demonstrate some basic knowledge before being allowed on the network.

Furthermore, supervisors are not there to be the bad cops and kick people. Most of all, we are online to help. If a member needs support while connected to the network, they can call for a supervisor to help them. For example, yesterday, I had a lovely educational chat with a new member about flight planning. "Aviate Educate Communicate" 😁

• Like 3

NICK MARINOV
Assistant to the Vice President
Europe, Middle East and Africa
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

nathaniel mitchell
Posted
Posted

i would love to see how vatsim lag efects on a game that is showing smoth  flying formations

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I know that the mandatory entry quiz for new members (P0) is slated to roll out on September 1st -- but with this announcement, it sure would be nice to accelerate that by a couple weeks to August 18th.

• Like 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

I know that the mandatory entry quiz for new members (P0) is slated to roll out on September 1st -- but with this announcement, it sure would be nice to accelerate that by a couple weeks to August 18th.

I've heard through the rumor mill that the above advice is being heeded (whether because I posted it or because the powers that be had already come to the same conclusion; either way is fine with me).  But is that true?  The post in "Announcements" still says September 1st.  As someone who does his best to help new members and give them accurate information, it'd be nice to get this confirmed from an official source. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

I've heard through the rumor mill that the above advice is being heeded (whether because I posted it or because the powers that be had already come to the same conclusion; either way is fine with me).  But is that true?  The post in "Announcements" still says September 1st.  As someone who does his best to help new members and give them accurate information, it'd be nice to get this confirmed from an official source. 

The program is scheduled for release at or before august 18th. 🙂 The exact date is not set yet.

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new