You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is "spectating" allowed via controlling client?

Andrew Turner

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted

Hi all-

Is observing controlling through one of the controlling clients permitted?

thanks

Andrew

John Koranteng
Posted
Posted

Hello, 

Yes, you can login as an observer through the atc client as well as listening to frequencies on AFV. However, make sure your range when connecting as an OBS is set to 300.

• Like 1

John K
VATSIM Membership Department - Data Auditing
[email protected]

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, John Koranteng said:

Hello, 

Yes, you can login as an observer through the atc client as well as listening to frequencies on AFV. However, make sure your range when connecting as an OBS is set to 300.

Thank you! I'll be primarily watching in the US Northeast. Any recommendations as to which client to use?

John Koranteng
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not very sure to be honest, but, I would assume it is VRC. 
You can check the VATUSA website for more information on this. Additionally, here is the link to software for ATC used in VATSIM. 

Edited by John Koranteng
forgot a word :P
  • Like 2

John K
VATSIM Membership Department - Data Auditing
[email protected]

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Andrew Turner said:

Thank you! I'll be primarily watching in the US Northeast. Any recommendations as to which client to use?

VRC would be the best to use. It's specifically designed with virtual controllers in mind. It doesn't have the same realism as vSTARS (used for Approach) or vERAM (used for Center) but it will give you a nice balance of being able to see the traffic while still getting elements of what a real radar screen looks like.

To observe, you'll need sector files. Some airspaces publish these for anyone, others require you to make a request to obtain them. 

The documentation on the VRC website will provide some information for how to get started. You can also search your way around YouTube for several orientation videos. Here's one a friend of mine put together for our controllers at ZBW:

• Like 1

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Evan Reiter said:

VRC would be the best to use. It's specifically designed with virtual controllers in mind. It doesn't have the same realism as vSTARS (used for Approach) or vERAM (used for Center) but it will give you a nice balance of being able to see the traffic while still getting elements of what a real radar screen looks like.

To observe, you'll need sector files. Some airspaces publish these for anyone, others require you to make a request to obtain them. 

The documentation on the VRC website will provide some information for how to get started. You can also search your way around YouTube for several orientation videos. Here's one a friend of mine put together for our controllers at ZBW:

Awesome - thanks! Coincidentally, I was just visiting the Boston ARTCC site to look around for training. I've found the rating requirements, but not how to actually get up and running... 

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by:

On 7/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Turner said:

I've found the rating requirements, but not how to actually get up and running... 

The video I linked above (plus its companion) literally walks through, step by step, how to get up and running. Obviously what it doesn't include are the actual sector files, which aren't available to the public. (You can email [email protected] if you want to request access.)

• Like 1

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager