You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR Flight plan required?

Chris DeGroat

Chris DeGroat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey folks, had a quick question.  The other day I was flying VFR from Grand bahama to Palm Beach.  When I contacted Nassau center who was handling ground/tower, he told me a VFR flight plan was required.  Just wondering why this was?  I didn't think VFR flight plans were a required thing?

Edit: Did some research, looks like that it is required in IRL so this was a good learning experience.  https://www.bahamas.com/vfr

"A good pilot is always learning"

Edited by Chris DeGroat
  • Like 1

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

You are correct. Some areas of the world require a VFR flight plan, If you are going across the ADIZ, you for sure would want to file one. In the US it's a good idea, but not required most areas provided you are staying within the confines of the ADIZ

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Chris DeGroat
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Matthew Bartels said:

You are correct. Some areas of the world require a VFR flight plan, If you are going across the ADIZ, you for sure would want to file one. In the US it's a good idea, but not required most areas provided you are staying within the confines of the ADIZ

Thanks for confirming.  I have to say I'm glad I joined, my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.  So far each flight I've done there has been some takeaway of knowledge.

• Like 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In general you can remember:

• domestic and local VFR flights normally do NOT require a flightplan, especially not here on VATSIM
  • international VFR flights definitely require flightplans in the real world, so you may want to file on here on VATSIM, too

And even if you fly under circumstances where no flightplan is required, it still may be a good idea to file a very basic one to give other people around you an idea of what your intentions are. For altitude and route you can insert "VFR".

Nickolas Christopher
Posted
Posted (edited)

Note that real world US domestic VFR flight plans are not sent to ATC. They are filed for search and rescue purposes. (You actually call the local flight service station to file and activate/open a VFR flight plan.)

So, if you want to add a touch of immersion/realism, when you are flying VFR in the US, do not file a VFR flight plan.

• When departing a Class D airport, call ground with your location, aircraft type, departure direction and ready to taxi with current ATIS.
  • When departing Class C, Class B or TRSA, also give your destination and desired VFR cruise altitude. You will get a departure frequency and beacon/squawk code for flight following. You can advise ready to taxi after you read back any VFR departure instructions, departure frequency and squawk code.
  • If you are picking up flight following in the air, advise ATC of your aircraft type, current altitude and destination.

In all cases above, ATC will complete the VFR flight plan/flight strip.

Edited by Nickolas Christopher

Los Angeles ARTCC Air Traffic Manager
VATUSA Division
https://laartcc.org

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

To reiterate what Nickolas said.. VFR flight plan filing is a CYA (cover your a$$) thing. Should you not reach destination, people know where to start lookin for you.

Edited by John Stockton

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 8/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, Chris DeGroat said:

Thanks for confirming.  I have to say I'm glad I joined, my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.  So far each flight I've done there has been some takeaway of knowledge.

35+ years into the hobby and just about 10 on VATSIM, and I'm still learning! 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png