You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PTT on remote...

Maurizio Cinti

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

HI, today PTT doesn't work as usual . I set a Joke button, via FSUIPC (keysend 1-255....etc..) and it had worked flawlessly for years. But today, no way.
Installed latest FSUIPC release  6.0.10, latest WideFS 7.157.
Obviously access is open to all PCs on private net, firewall off. LOG reports regular connection between host and remote.
don't really figure out what else to do....help.

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does vPilot recognize the yoke button directly without having to use FSUIPC?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hmmm......
Host running on server pc (P3d's pc) sees the joke button . It reports Joystick 0 button 5, while Fsuipc reports it as button 4...
Remote running on client Pc  doesn't recognize the button.
It's weird that until last week I had no problem, and nothing else has been changed...

p.s.: when connect to Vatsim I can't hear controllers.  Maybe new Prosim v3 has some issues with CPFlight radios linked in daisy chain to MCP ??

Maurizio

Edited by Maurizio Cinti

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm confused ... is your yoke plugged into the host or the remote?

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

Yoke is plugged into the main server Pc, where P3D runs, as is VPilot Host.  Vpilot remote-voice is plugged into a client Pc

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Then you should be able to just configure the yoke button as PTT on the host. You don't need to do anything with PTT on the remote.

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, that's the way it always worked until some days ago. Now, after upgrading to Prosim v3, remote seems not to recognize anymore button I click on yoke.
Plus, I not even hear controllers I'm tuned to.

What a mess !

Maurizio

edit:  In Prosim forum seems issue is full open to investigation regarding CPFlight modules in v3...
https://prosim-ar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20355&start=30

Edited by Maurizio Cinti

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you saying that you are trying to configure PTT on the remote, and it's not recognizing the button press on the host? If that's what you're saying, then that is exactly what should be happening. The remote copy of vPilot cannot possibly detect a button press on a different computer.

However, if you are saying that you have configured the PTT on the host, but then when you press the PTT, the transmit light does not light up on the remote, then that's a different issue.

Let me know which of these two things is actually the case.

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

I used to press joke button (yoke connected to Host PC, the simulator machine) . This button was detected, as per instructions, in Fsuipc and set as Keysend 1-255 (Widefs) using the F12 button on remote (client PC).  This method ran smoothly for years....
Now, after upgrade to Prosim v3, remote doesn't recognize press on the joke button. And radio communications are mute when tuned on Vatsim (I can't hear controllers, no lights are on).
Accidentally, trying any solution, I noticed that in Host settings PTT was set as "joystick button n.5".  Frankly, I never known that Host could set joke button......!

Now, you say that remote cannot detect a button press on a different computer..... but that's was exactly the way things worked so far... I pressed  joke button (connected to host pc) and remote saw that press and via Fsuipc/Widefs it returned the ptt command. At least, that's what I always understood about the matter, but I can be surely wrong....
Are you sure you can exclude some sort of issue regarding CPFlight drivers and Prosim v3  ?  It looks like radios are completely inactive (all my CPFlight pedestal modules are daisy chained linked to MCP - MIP - etc...)

Anyway, I appreciate your help !

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Right, the remote cannot detect a button press on a different computer. Using FSUIPC to convert the button press into a key press and send it via WideFS to the remote, that is not the same thing as the remote detecting the button press.

The thing is, you don't need any of that. You can just configure the host to detect the button press, and you're done. No need for FSUIPC or WideFS.

As for why your radios are inactive, that's a completely separate issue that I have not addressed yet. I have only addressed your PTT issue.

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

Wow !  I'm even more confused now .
I followed the guide : http://vpilot.metacraft.com/Assets/Files/vPilotNetworkSetup.pdf 

I used to set ptt press button only on remote, and that worked .

Using this method I never had problems to configure ptt on yoke via Fsuipc/Widefs on remote.
Now you're telling me that I don't need Fsuipc o Widefs ?  Then, I miss something .
What I don't realize is why this method have worked for years and suddenly it stop . The only new aspect is Prosim v3, but what has this to do with the press button detect ?

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know why your previous method stopped working. All I know is that you don't need FSUIPC and WideFS to have vPilot recognize a yoke button press. That PDF you found is from years ago before vPilot supported the remote/host split setup. There is a lot of old outdated information on the internet, and you found a piece of it. :D I will remove that PDF from the server so it doesn't confuse anyone else.

All you need to do is follow the current instructions for configuring PTT and you should be fine.

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

I'm in a blind alley.
Yes, that pdf is old, but I followed its instructions from the beginning of Vpilot, and all ran smooth for years.
Surely there's something , stupid, tiny error somewhere that corrupted my system.

In brief :

-host captures yoke press button (joystick button n.5)
-Fsuipc detect it as joystick button n.4
-remote DOES NOT recognize any press button
-Vpilot connect regularly to Vatsim, but I can neither hear transmissions, nor send voice message....
- Host/remote connection is active and stable

Maybe a  uninstall/reinstall ?

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maurizio, I encourage you to abandon that old, outdated method for remote PTT. You simply do not need it anymore, so why bother trying to get it working again? Sure, it's frustrating when something stops working and you don't know why, but if you don't need it anymore, why waste time on it?

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

I totally agree, I deleted Wideclient and follow what you advise... but still remote doesn't  activate radio transmission, as ptt press button selected on host  seems inactive. 
I miss something but don't know what.

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

On the host, open the debug window, and press the PTT button. Does the debug window show messages indicating that the button press was detected?

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

Yes,it does

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Now try opening the debug window on the remote with the ".debug" command. Press the PTT on the host. Does the remote see the PTT events coming over the network?

Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted

Ross, sorry but I’m not at home now (at the sea for some days) so I can’t check it.

I’ll check it next Wednesday😎 .... thank you

Maurizio

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sounds good, enjoy the sea!

• 2 weeks later...
Maurizio Cinti
Posted
Posted (edited)

Now everything is running well, as usual...

the only  thing changed is a new Prosim737 v3 release.

Don’t get what the hell......

Maurizio

Edited by Maurizio Cinti

• 2 weeks later...
Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted

Hi, I also revealed this problem. With the simulator window open, the PTT key does not transmit any communication, but if I open Vpilot it transmits without any problem.

I entered a key on the keyboard as a TX command, but if I don't open Vpilot I can't transmit anything.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Francesco Baiocchi said:

Hi, I also revealed this problem. With the simulator window open, the PTT key does not transmit any communication, but if I open Vpilot it transmits without any problem.

I entered a key on the keyboard as a TX command, but if I don't open Vpilot I can't transmit anything.

This is not the same problem as stated in this post. For your issue, please check:

• Thanks 1

Francesco Baiocchi
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Questo non è lo stesso problema indicato in questo post. Per il tuo problema, controlla:

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you read the post that I linked to?