You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Only one Controller online

• question

Florian Loschy

Florian Loschy
Posted
Posted

I know this is probably a newbie question, but im new to Vatsim. I know that if only a tower controller is online, he is going to do the job for ground and delivery. So i have to tune to the tower frequency to get my delivery clearance. Should i say like Frankfurt delivery or Frankfurt tower when i want to get my clearance? Sorry if my grammar is bad.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Typically you'd refer to them as Tower, even if you're calling them for a Delivery or Ground function. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Florian Loschy said:

I know this is probably a newbie question, but im new to Vatsim. I know that if only a tower controller is online, he is going to do the job for ground and delivery. So i have to tune to the tower frequency to get my delivery clearance. Should i say like Frankfurt delivery or Frankfurt tower when i want to get my clearance? Sorry if my grammar is bad.

7 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Typically you'd refer to them as Tower, even if you're calling them for a Delivery or Ground function. 

This. However, keep in mind that the local controller might refer to themselves as delivery, ground, or tower, as they are acting as all 3 by being the local controller. But as long as you are listening to them, you should be good.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Address controllers by their published callsign; although IME if you use the wrong one, it's not usually a big deal either, they will casually correct you, and that's that.

23.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tobias Dammers said:

Address controllers by their published callsign; although IME if you use the wrong one, it's not usually a big deal either, they will casually correct you, and that's that.

True, but once again, if they are operating as DEL, they could call themselves Clearance Delivery. When they call for Taxi, they could call themselves Ground as they are operating that position. If a TRACON/Control sector is combined, you could hear them calling themselves Departure for aircraft departing, as well as Approach for aircraft arriving. In short, the positions may be fluid if the positions are combined on a single frequency.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

That is up to local and regional differences though. You can always right click and get the controller info, usually the position name is depicted there. 🙂 Or listen to what the other people are saying, or what he is calling himself!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

TL;DR = don't stress over it too much  😉

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

That is up to local and regional differences though. You can always right click and get the controller info, usually the position name is depicted there. 🙂 Or listen to what the other people are saying, or what he is calling himself!

Yeah, this is what I meant by "published" callsign. Basically whatever the remarks / description on their frequency says. And ofc if they use a different one themselves, just go along with that.

23.png