You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CPDLC

Filippo Deka

Filippo Deka
Posted
Posted

hi, I recently learned that on vatsim with the FSLabs A321 that it is possible to use the CPDLC being very fond of online flights to make the simulator seem more similar to reality as possible not only in terms of graphics but also functional.

my question is very simple
i tried the cpdlc but it didn't work
then I tried with the hoppie CPDLC (I think) but anyway when I tried to contact the tower it gave me error (norification failed with ****).

I know that not all controllers have cpdlc.

the question is:

what are the requirements with the FSLabs A321 to have a cpdlc really working with vatsim?

is there any nation that uses it more?

tankyou,

Philip.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Philip,

not all ATC offer PDC or CPDLC. You need to check the "controller information" of each ATC-station as they usually state their PDC or CPDLC address there.

• Like 1

Chriss Klosowski
Posted
Posted

As Andreas mentioned. You will need to see the controller information lines which you can see by right clicking on the controller and for example VATSpy. It will usually tell you which of them are they giving (either CPDLC or PDC) and their logon callsign. Some of them may offer PDC via text communication means via the pilot client directly by sending them a private message. 

CHRISS KLOSOWSKI
Division Director, VATSIM Middle East & North Africa  
VATSIM Network Senior Supervisor, Team 5
##  [email protected] 
##
 http://vatsim.me/    

1185353147_Signature(1).png.e6818c4256541cb309a1888bad7c9d33.png

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Since you asked about countries, I can say that CPDLC is not used much, if at all, in the U.S. (either real-world or on the network).

• Like 1

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

with the fslabs to make sure all of the hoppie features work you will need a hoppie logon code. you can get it here https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/system/register.html .

the code you receive in the email needs to be pasted in the file called acars.ini. this file has 4 lines with one line being empty after LOGON= so paste the code there and check if active=1. then save that file and you are good to go.

generally cpdlc in europe is only offered by enroute centers aka radar facilities.

i hope this helps

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Evan Reiter said:

I can say that CPDLC is not used much, if at all, in the U.S. (either real-world or on the network)

But PDC is used heavily (in the real world), even in the US (from my own experience), although VATSIM USA does deliver PDC via private chat messages instead of Hoppie, which also works fine enough.

• Like 1

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

But PDC is used heavily (in the real world), even in the US (from my own experience), although VATSIM USA does deliver PDC via private chat messages instead of Hoppie, which also works fine enough.

I meant to say that, in real life, CPDLC use in the enroute environment is very rare in the US; a few airspaces have experimented with it from time-to-time but it's by no means a common thing.

On the network, yes, most VATUSA facilities will simulate the use of CPDLC/PDC clearances via a private message. 

I'm not aware of any US facilities that are using the Hoppie client.

• Thanks 2

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Filippo Deka
Posted
Posted

OK thanks,
one last thing,
what are the requirements to have the cpdlc working
just the hoppie CPDLC is enough or do I need anything else?

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Filippo Deka said:

OK thanks,
one last thing,
what are the requirements to have the cpdlc working
just the hoppie CPDLC is enough or do I need anything else?

Well depending on if own the fslabs a320/319/321 for p3d v4/5 then you only need a logon code that is placed in the acars.ini file. Otherwise you need to download the hoppie mcdu to use cpdlc.

Filippo Deka
Posted
Posted

thank u for the manual does it connect automatically to the fslabs?

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Filippo Deka said:

thank u for the manual does it connect automatically to the fslabs?

For the fslabs you only the need the logon code. All the cpdlc stuff is done internally and is accessed by the mcdu and dcdu when connected to an atc station. This will only work on p3d v4.5 and v5 versions of the fslabs airbus.

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Trott
Posted
Posted

Also, PDC is not a CPDLC function technically.  It's an ACARS function which is a different system.  Also, in the US, PDC is only available at certain airports (for now at least).

Chris Trott

Westwind Airlines - http://www.flywestwind.org

Houston, Texas