You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

May I suggest a possible event?

Alex Vainer 929287

Alex Vainer 929287
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was listening to an episode of the Pilotcast Podcast, and they had two guests that created the ConUS Challenge. Where as a GA community, have a little over a year to fly to every airport in the continental United States. Pilots would then take pictures of the airports and write a brief description. Check this out..... www.goflyamerica.org

Could this possibly happen on VATSIM? And instead of pictures, maybe screen shots?

What does everyone think?

Edited by Guest

Alex "AV" Vainer C1

Los Angeles ARTCC

Robert Vipperman 982778
Posted
Posted

This sounds interesting I must say. I wish I were a real world pilot to try this out. As far as VATSIm, I say y not. Nice find BTW.

Alex Vainer 929287
Posted
Posted

Any other comments?

Alex "AV" Vainer C1

Los Angeles ARTCC

Russell Bariesheff 979572
Posted
Posted

Seeing the term "GA" sparked my attention.

Sounds fun... in real life. Doing all that on a simulator might be stretching it. I'd say select a certain number of airports (not every one out there) and try that, so it's not as long and maybe more practical for sim pilots.

To probably make it even more realistic for Vatsim GA pilots, perhaps just pick a state and start with that. I'd be interested in something like that.

-R

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

For a first step, why not filter to only airports meeting a certain criteria? Only those with a 'Kxxx' code, or a runway over X feet, or similar - or focus on a state liked Russell said. I'd participate.

Tim Krajcar

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Love the idea, would definitely participate in it.

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

KLWA!!!

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

The Virginia Aviation organization is sponsoring the "Amb[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ador Program" where pilots fly to each of the public use airports in the state of Virginia (excluding DCA and the 2 other airports in the Flight Restricted Zone around DC; you'll have to drive to those). When you arrive, you obtain a stamp in your "p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port" book. Once you complete the book, you get a leather bomber jacket with an embroidered logo about the program. Kind of neat, but very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

There have also been times when a pilot will attempt to fly to as many airports in one state in a day as possible. This could also be an event that would rotate from state to state and would potentially allow for 50 different winners...or an individual who bags the most states over the course of the year.

Schedule a state a week- throw in some tricky weather and it could prove quite challenging. Online participation with significant ATC to officially track each airplane's score would be needed to keep it honest.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png