You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Certified" Training for RW pilots?

Andrew Turner

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Though I joined a long time ago, I'm essentially new to VATSIM as I haven't used the services yet.

I'm a real world pilot with about 260 hours in GA aircraft and just 3 hours and a checkride away from my IR. 

I see a lot of various and seemingly different "training courses" - I prefer following checklists 😉 and would like to go through one that isn't self-guided if possible.

Do any of the US providers have a Pilotedge-like test system where each "lesson" (where appropriate) is flown or otherwise tested or certified?

thanks

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Turner

Craighton Miller
Posted
Posted

You may want to look into the Pilot Training Department and have a look at a few of the Authorized Training Organizations, some offer hands on lessons and certifications to get your P-rating

http://ptd.vatsim.net/

Craighton Miller (1273399)
Marketing & Communications Team

spacer.png

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Craighton Miller said:

You may want to look into the Pilot Training Department and have a look at a few of the Authorized Training Organizations, some offer hands on lessons and certifications to get your P-rating

http://ptd.vatsim.net/

Thanks Craighton - Yep - saw that, just hard to tell without reading through each one. I looked at a couple and still couldn't tell :) 

Also, VATSIM Pilot Academy seems to be offline...

Craighton Miller
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Andrew Turner said:

Thanks Craighton - Yep - saw that, just hard to tell without reading through each one. I looked at a couple and still couldn't tell 🙂

Also, VATSIM Pilot Academy seems to be offline...

The Pilot Academy is going through an overhaul and is due out soon. If I had to make a personal recommendation I would check out VATSTAR for pilot training. Otherwise I'd hold out with the revamp to pilot training.

• Like 1

Craighton Miller (1273399)
Marketing & Communications Team

spacer.png

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted

Thanks Craighton.

Anyplace we can find updates for Pilot Academy?

Mark Doyle
Posted
Posted

What do you want training for?

Developer: vatsim.net | community.vatsim.net | estvacc.org

vatsim tech logo

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Mark Doyle said:

What do you want training for?

Hi Mark-

Thanks for asking.

Primarily, I think it would make a fantastic checklist by which to learn VATSIM, including the basics of making sure it's set up properly (FWIW I still haven't been able to get it working using xPilot, but I have a thread going about that).

Next, frankly, even as a RW pilot, I like refreshers - especially if some of the "basics" of both VFR and IFR are done in different aircraft with different systems (including ones I don't fly in real-world), and it seems like the syllabus would generally make a good checklist to guide those efforts.

As noted earlier, something like Pilotedge's rating system is something I like to use to measure progress, even if the concepts are things I'm familiar with and have done quite a bit in RW flight. 

If not, I can certainly do it in a self-guided format.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
On 8/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Turner said:

Do any of the US providers have a Pilotedge-like test system where each "lesson" (where appropriate) is flown or otherwise tested or certified?

We have one...in fact, it's based on the PilotEdge system and was created with Keith's blessing. It's launching as Wings Over New England on August 16. For now, you can check out the precursor program, called the Pilot Ratings Program (PRP) at www.bvartcc.com/prp. I'd certainly recommend waiting until this weekend to get started. It's going to get a whole lot better.

I do note, you say:

On 8/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Turner said:

Would like to go through one that isn't self-guided if possible.

Our program is self-guided in that you review the training material and test standards before each flight. Then, you fly the rating and the controllers ensure you have successfully met the standards. I understand that's how PilotEdge's program works.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Andrew Turner
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Evan Reiter said:

We have one...in fact, it's based on the PilotEdge system and was created with Keith's blessing. It's launching as Wings Over New England on August 16. For now, you can check out the precursor program, called the Pilot Ratings Program (PRP) at www.bvartcc.com/prp. I'd certainly recommend waiting until this weekend to get started. It's going to get a whole lot better.

I do note, you say:

Our program is self-guided in that you review the training material and test standards before each flight. Then, you fly the rating and the controllers ensure you have successfully met the standards. I understand that's how PilotEdge's program works.

Thanks Ryan! I will check it out.