You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

DIscord issue

Chase Stigberg

Chase Stigberg
Posted
Posted

Evening,

I'm running into an issue when trying to connect to the VATSIM discord. I went through the signup process, but I noticed afterwards that my account isn't on my discord app. When I look my account, it shows a random discord account that is not mine. Not sure where the issue happened. The site says you have to signout of the hub to get in, but I can't find anywhere to sign out. Any help would be appreciated!

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Me.

Chase Stigberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Nestor Perez said:

Nestor,  

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately VATSIM isn't showing up in my list to leave the server. When I look in my VATSIM community account, it shows an associated discord name that isn't mine. Therefor, I can't login to leave the server. If you're available on another discord channel, I can explain a little better? The account showing in my profile that it's associated to is, Chase#4941. Not sure if you can boot it and I'll login with my account on another computer?

Edited by Chase Stigberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Sorted on DMs as well

ariana grande wink GIF

• Haha 1

Me.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

We have been using Discord in Vatpac region for some time now. One thing to note is that when you close the application by using the "x" you actually do not shut down. In fact your microphone and headphones stay alive and you can hear other people thru your speakers or headphones and if for whatever reason you press your transmit button they can hear you. I recommend that when finishing a Discord session you go to the bottom left of screen and open settings and at the bottom you will find the log off icon.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Log off from what? From a voice-room or from Discord? I never had any trouble with Discord as you described, except for when I forgot to disconnect from a private voice-chat or from o voice-room.

• Confused 1

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

@Daniel Mckee Using ALT+F4 is usually a quicker option, but both work fine 🙂

• Like 1

Me.

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

We have been using Discord in Vatpac region for some time now. One thing to note is that when you close the application by using the "x" you actually do not shut down. In fact your microphone and headphones stay alive and you can hear other people thru your speakers or headphones and if for whatever reason you press your transmit button they can hear you. I recommend that when finishing a Discord session you go to the bottom left of screen and open settings and at the bottom you will find the log off icon.

Just to note, this is intended behaviour and is found in other voice communication programs such as Skype. You can turn this off by going to Settings > Windows Settings > Turn off 'Minimize to tray'

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

My intention of posting was just to remind new users of what might happen if one does not log off Discord properly. If you are happy to leave an application running in the background then that is your choice of course. And Nestor thank you for your constructive suggestion which is refreshing🙂

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ok, I could not imagine that one wanted to close down/logoff from Discord (or Skype) completely, because to me this defeats the entire purpose of these messenger apps. If I close them I do not get notified of new incoming messages for me.

your microphone and headphones stay alive and you can hear other people thru your speakers or headphones and if for whatever reason you press your transmit button they can hear you

I don't get this. Unless you are connected to a voice-channel or to a private voice-conversation, nothing is transmitted or received.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Andreas, people who are new to Discord may not know about the minimize-to-tray behavior, nor how to switch from voice activation to PTT.  I'm sure they will be grateful if they come across the above advice and are thus saved from a potentially embarrassing moment. 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert,

sure, but shouldn't we rather make them aware of the fact that they a) should rather define and use PTT than voice-activation and b) they should always actively close voice-channels that they have stopped using. IMHO it's more appropriate and respectful to educate people about "new technology", instead of telling them to shut it down and log out, because this is a completely unnecessary move - most users of Discord never do this and do not have any issues with privacy. I use Discord several times a day, for me it's definitely no option to shut it down - logging back in with this security code generator is a major hassle.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Had something to say..decided not to so deleted it.

Edited by Daniel Mckee