You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot "No supported Flight Simulators"

Joshua Reiman

Joshua Reiman
Posted
Posted

Looked around forum with no exact answers to this problem. Error Reads: "No supported flight simulators were detected! Please ensure you have FSX or Prepar3D installed correctly. vPilot will now exit." Any solutions for this problem or a fix?

Additional Info:

- I was in the Beta

- Did not attempt vPilot in Beta

- Currently on Steam Version

- Retried install of vPilot multiple times.

Thanks.

pic.png

error.png

Bryan Worden
Posted
Posted

Same

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My guess is they changed the registry information that vPilot uses to detect the sim. If you are comfortable with the registry editor, please take a look and see if this key exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410

Within that key should be a subkey called InstallLocation, which contains the path where the sim is installed.

If that key doesn't exist, please check to see if there is a similar one nearby perhaps with a different Steam App number.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bryan Worden
Posted
Posted

Yeah, mine was installed under a folder named chucky. I renamed it to the MicrosoftFlightSimulator folder and now it works. Weird. 

Roel Schie
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the same issue, I have found the folder Chucky, I also found that key. Do I need to rename the folder Chucky to 'MicrosoftFlightSimulator'? If so, there a problem, there already is a folder with that name. Both are loacted in steamapps/common. Does somebody have a more noob explaination on what to do?

Edit.
I've got it. For anyone wondering, in start, type 'regedit' and open the program. Follow the path as show some posts above. open the installLocation and change /Chucky to /MicrosoftFlightSimulator.

Previous explanation seemed very vague until I did it. 

Edited by Roel Schie

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Roel Schie said:

I have the same issue, I have found the folder Chucky, I also found that key. Do I need to rename the folder Chucky to 'MicrosoftFlightSimulator'? If so, there a problem, there already is a folder with that name. Both are loacted in steamapps/common. Does somebody have a more noob explaination on what to do?

Yes, there is another user having that exact problem, renaming it works perfectly!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Tobias Haag
Posted
Posted (edited)

no joy on my end, im not using steam edition, no Chucky anywhere, no regkey or similar matching. Still crawling through the registry to find anything. 

What other Keys does vpilot look for? This is the MSStore or Xbox gamepass version btw. Thanks for any help! 🙂

My installation lives under: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Edited by Tobias Haag

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted (edited)

I renamed chucky to microsoftflightsimulator in the steamapps/common and merged the files but that didn't fix it. I checked the registry and couldn't find microsoftflightsimulator in the registry.

What else should I be trying?

edit: I have not made any progress, I could not find the flight simulator in the registry under any of the suggested locations, and I don't want to break it so I'm just going to hope they update vpilot in the future to fix this.

Edited by David Reynolds
Frsutration

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For the record, I would NOT recommend renaming folders or changing registry values. Who knows what effects that might have later on.

vPilot currently looks at these registry keys to locate the MSFS installation directory:

• SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\InstallLocation
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\Path
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410\InstallLocation
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410\Path

It looks for these keys under both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER

8 hours ago, Bryan Worden said:

Yeah, mine was installed under a folder named chucky. I renamed it to the MicrosoftFlightSimulator folder and now it works. Weird. 

Bryan, are you saying the registry folder was called Chucky or the disk folder was called Chucky? vPilot doesn't care what the disk folder is called. It looks in the registry to find the name of the disk folder, and it can be anything. I saw other users where it was named Chucky and that's just fine. Just changing the disk folder should not make vPilot suddenly find the sim. What's important for vPilot is that it can find the registry value that stores the install location. vPilot then checks that install location on disk to see if the folder contains the exe file, which is called FlightSimulator.exe.

Bryan Worden
Posted
Posted

Sorry for being vague. No I did not rename any folders. I renamed the registry key from 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410

Clicking on that key showed me the "InstallLocation" was set to the folder ...steamapps\common\Chucky. I replaced "Chucky" with "MicrosoftFlightSimulator" ie ...steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

Now everything works as it should. Sorry for not being more descriptive earlier.

Tobias Haag
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

For the record, I would NOT recommend renaming folders or changing registry values. Who knows what effects that might have later on.

vPilot currently looks at these registry keys to locate the MSFS installation directory:

• SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\InstallLocation
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\Path
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410\InstallLocation
  • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 1250410\Path

It looks for these keys under both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Bryan, are you saying the registry folder was called Chucky or the disk folder was called Chucky? vPilot doesn't care what the disk folder is called. It looks in the registry to find the name of the disk folder, and it can be anything. I saw other users where it was named Chucky and that's just fine. Just changing the disk folder should not make vPilot suddenly find the sim. What's important for vPilot is that it can find the registry value that stores the install location. vPilot then checks that install location on disk to see if the folder contains the exe file, which is called FlightSimulator.exe.

AhA ! This was super helpful! Mine was pointing to alpha! Going to fix that 🙂

working now 🙂 THANK YOU!

Edited by Tobias Haag

Joshua Reiman
Posted
Posted

Can confirm the Chucky fixed worked.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Just put out 2.6.2 which fixes this issue without you having to edit your registry values.

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

Just put out 2.6.2 which fixes this issue without you having to edit your registry values.

I updated vpilot and it still didn't work so I have no idea what the problem is.

Capture.JPG

I verified the integrity of the files through steam and everything validated.

Edited by David Reynolds
more information

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

David, you talked about renaming and merging files and such, so I don't have any idea what state your installation is currently in. The fix people were talking about with changing "Chucky" to "MicrosoftFlightSimulator" was referring to changing the value in the InstallLocation key in the registry, not changing anything on disk or merging files.

So I'm not sure how to assist you at this point. Let me know what state your registry and files are in right now and maybe we can proceed from there.

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted

Ok, I am not great with this sort of thing so if you could tell me specifically what you would like to know from me it would be much appreciated.

In the registry I can find steam app ###### for 19/21 installed steam items. One of the missing items is MSFS and I'm not sure what the other one is at this moment. It was not there prior to deleting the Chucky folder either which is what I think I did to it.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You're saying you don't have the MSFS Steam registry entries at all? (The ones with app ID 1250410)

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes that is correct

I also tried installing simconnect and the fse client and the fse client has not been able to connect to the sim either.

Edited by David Reynolds
more info

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you delete the MSFS Steam registry entries, or did never have them to begin with?

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted (edited)

I did not have them to begin with. Should I try a clean install maybe?

update: Must've been a issue with the install because a clean install fixed it and I feel like a moron. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by David Reynolds

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you actually have the Steam version, not the Windows Store or GamePass version?

Gilles Bellaire
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

Same problem with 2.6.2 and I'm using the FS2020 Microsoft store version.
Do I have any chance to run vPilot?

Thank you for your help.

G

Edited by Gilles Bellaire

David Reynolds
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you actually have the Steam version, not the Windows Store or GamePass version?

I had the steam version but its working now.

Thanks again

Oliver Boulton
Posted
Posted

Just fixed my steam version it was because the following keys:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\InstallLocation

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FlightSimulator.exe\Path

were still set to the location where I had the beta installed (even though its not installed anymore)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gilles Bellaire said:

Hi guys,

Same problem with 2.6.2 and I'm using the FS2020 Microsoft store version.
Do I have any chance to run vPilot?

Thank you for your help.

G

Gilles, please see this post from me earlier in this thread. Please let me know which of those registry keys you have.