You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

International Date Line Issues

Daneel Polakoff

Daneel Polakoff
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am the FE at PCF (we cover ZAN, HCF, and ZUA) and I was recently attempting to add the ZAN Oceanic Sector (ZAP) to our file. The ZAP boundary crosses over the international date line and creates a strange result. The boundary on the other side of the date line is moved very far away from its intended location. I understand this a very unique issue but I was wondering if there was any fix for this or any possible solutions to make the file work.

(Picture is taken in VRC so I can zoom out to show the problem, issue is the same in vERAM)

Thanks,

Daneel Polakoff

PCF FE

ZANZAPISSUE.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but could you try subtracting 360 from the longitude values for those points that are on the other side of the IDL?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daneel Polakoff
Posted
Posted

Amazing! It worked, thanks for the help!

ZANZAPISSUEworked.png

Daneel Polakoff
Posted
Posted

Hello Ross,

I have continued to develop the sector file. Although the file might work across the IDL, the traffic on VATSIM does not. The traffic appear where the boundary used to. Is there a fix to this? I would assume not.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nope, no fix for that. I'm not sure what other facilities near the IDL do, but one possibility is to open another window centered on the other side of the line.

• 2 months later...
Kyle Sanders
Posted
Posted

Daneel,

Nikolas Boling and I are working on a Script to fix this.

We have it done already but just piecing it all together.

It will automatically and accurately handle East longs (at least in VRC).

At the time of this comment, I am waiting to hear back if a W180.00.00.001+ coordinate will be accepted by vERAM.

If so, then we are good to go and will be putting an .exe or something together to get these coordinates converted.

Watch this project for updates: https://github.com/KSanders7070/NASR_2_SCT

Kyle Sanders
VATUSA
ZLC ARTCC

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kyle Sanders said:

Nikolas Boling and I are working on a Script to fix this.

Kyle, it sounds like you're referring to a script to convert coordinates in a sector file or video map. Daneel has already done that. The issue is that radar data coming in from the VATSIM server would need to be similarly converted so that the traffic appears on the correct side of the antimeridian.

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

Useful, nonetheless for those who wants to maintain or develop sector files. The last time I tried to manually convert them by just adding the amount of degrees to the other side of the IDL, it turned out like this....

image.thumb.png.dffcca75cc3a0e058515111438278cfd.png