You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

about Host-Remote Mode of Vpilot

Robbie Joy

Robbie Joy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Running vPilot Over a Network

If you would like to run the main vPilot user interface on a machine other than the one that runs your simulator, you can do so by running vPilot in a split networked configuration. In this configuration, you will actually run two copies of vPilot. The first copy runs in "host" mode on the same machine as the simulator. The second copy runs in "remote" mode on the other computer. The remote copy communicates with the host copy over the network.

To launch vPilot in host or remote mode, you can use the special shortcuts that were created in your start menu programs list when you installed vPilot. Again, on the sim computer, launch vPilot in "host" mode. On the other computer, the one where you want to see the vPilot user interface, launch vPilot in "remote" mode. The first time you launch vPilot in remote mode, it will prompt you to go into the Settings window and enter the IP address of the host machine. You can also configure which port vPilot will use to connect to the host. The port setting must be configured for the same value in both the host and remote copies. This port must also be opened in the firewall on the host computer.

Note that both copies must be running the exact same version of vPilot in order for them to connect to each other.

You'll notice that there are two shortcuts for starting vPilot in host mode and two for starting it in remote mode. One shortcut includes voice communications, and one doesn't. This allows you to choose which machine will handle connections to the VATSIM voice servers for communicating with ATC. You must choose either the host or the remote to handle voice communications. You cannot have voice comms running on both the host and the remote at the same time.

Can I use the host(for operating aircraft)  and my friend use the remote (for ATC talks),

our connection via WAN not LAN?

Is it operatable?

Please HELP, thx a lot.

Edited by Robbie Joy
add more info

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Technically speaking, this is possible if you set up the proper port forwarding through your router.

However, this would violate VATSIM policies because your friend would be using your VATSIM credentials, or you would be using your friend's credentials.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this anyway. Are you trying to accomplish a shared cockpit scenario?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robbie Joy
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Technically speaking, this is possible if you set up the proper port forwarding through your router.

However, this would violate VATSIM policies because your friend would be using your VATSIM credentials, or you would be using your friend's credentials.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this anyway. Are you trying to accomplish a shared cockpit scenario?

Yes, my friend wanna be the role of F/O and I the captain. 🙂 

I tried this afternoon but promt the hint "the connection failure" 😂

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You need to each use your own copy of vPilot, and use an aircraft that allows shared cockpit functionality.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robbie Joy
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

You need to each use your own copy of vPilot, and use an aircraft that allows shared cockpit functionality.

Got it, thank you very much.