You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VR - messages window keyboard bug, can't send messages - any workarounds?

Roman Bershadsky

Roman Bershadsky
Posted
Posted

In VR (Oculus Rift S) in clients 1.3.30 and 1.3.31 when there is a message in a message window and I click to reply there is a weird bug: the VR keyboard opens in X-Plane and I can type in letters, but enter and backspace keys don't work, so I can't send the message or delete what I type. "Hide" button also doesn't not work and doesn't close the keyboard. Also, I get severe FPS hit after opening the keyboard, even sometimes disconnected from VATsim because of lower than 20 FPS. I found a workaround for "hide" - clicking on the mesage window scrollbar hides the keyboard. However I can't send messages.

This is quite crippling, as I don't have keyboard, my VR rig is in another room from the actual PC. Sometims there are messages that require response. I went so far as configured a speech-to-text macro in VoiceMacro to select the xPilot window and type in whatever I say, and send or delete on voice commands. However this doesn't affect the in-VR message window in any way - no text appears and also external keyboard presses do not appear, not can it be sent with enter (or I could define voice commands to do that if it worked), so I still have to switch to Oculus VR interface to use voice for messages, and speech to text is quite crappy so a lot of typos and wrong words get in. Ideally I should just be able to type in a VR keyboard, but no - enter, hide and backspace keys don't work.

Any ideas? The developer said on discord channel that "Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I don’t own a VR headset so I won’t be able to test/fix this issue." So, maybe there is a workaround of some sort I haven't figured out yet?