You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Disconnect and reconnect on longer flights with time compression?

Roman Bershadsky

Roman Bershadsky
Posted
Posted

I have a noob question. I mostly got everything working with real-time flights. But for longer flights I don't have the time to do the entire flight. Offline I would engage maximum time compression in X-Plane on cruise altitude after TOC and return to normal before TOD. I know it's not allowed to change time compression when connected to VATSIM. But is it acceptable and normal if I disconnect Vatsim after TOC then accelerate time then slow back to normal time before TOD and reconnect again? I think I would have to refile the flight plan as it would expire after a few minutes. What would I say to appropriate controller when I reconnect? It would probably be a different controller from which I "disappear from".

If this it allowed it would open much longer / more frequent flights, when I don't have time for a full flight in real time. However I don't want to do something that's frowned upon or not allowed. Technically I think this would be allowed, as long as I don't pop-up in a busy area. But I'm not sure... 

All advise welcome.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

When connecting mid-flight, check to be sure you're not negatively impacting traffic flow in the sector you're magically appearing in, and be willing to accept a turn or a vector or an altitude change (or even a reroute as necessary) to accommodate the controller's needs.  Otherwise, it's normally fine.

Do please avoid doing this to controllers in the middle of very busy event-level traffic. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roman Bershadsky
Posted
Posted

So basically I'd check the SimAware map before popping in, right? To make sure I'm not in a really busy area... Though I'd only be able to see that very roughly, as I won't be on the map of course. Or is there a more precise way to check if I'd bother anynoe?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

That's usually sufficient.  Depending on the Pilot Client you could possibly connect in Observer mode, clear things up with the controller, then disconnect and reconnect in regular mode.  But it'll be easier for the controller to see where you are and judge separation mitigation options if he/she can see you on scope. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roman Bershadsky
Posted
Posted

OK thanks. Good to know...

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

do note that you can use time compression on VATSIM in uncontrolled airspace. you can even use it in controlled airspace if the controller allows it. Reference VATSIM CoC B9

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2020 at 3:52 AM, Matthew Bartels said:

do note that you can use time compression on VATSIM in uncontrolled airspace. you can even use it in controlled airspace if the controller allows it. Reference VATSIM CoC B9

Yes, but I would err on the side of caution with the "ensure that they do not cause disruptions to other members" part. If, as a pilot, I see you 40 miles out at a reported ground track speed of 200 knots, I will assume that it's going to be 12 minutes until you're here. If, due to 4x time compression, those 12 minutes actually end up being 3 minutes, and I have to take action to maintain separation, then that IS a disruption.

23.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Yes, that’s why you need to constantly be monitoring your flight 🙂 

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yeah, and while opinions vary widely on the topic of this being allowable and okay, personally I don't like it.  My opinion is that if you want to take off, cruise for a short amount of time, then land, it's so much easier just to pick a shorter flight.  But, I get that different people take their simming joy in different ways.  

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roman Bershadsky
Posted
Posted

People are going to want to take off and land at specific and widely different airports, especially with the MFS rolling out with its beautiful visuals. So short flights selection are very limiting. There are several constrains regarding airports having active controllers and different frequencies, so it may be more appealing to fly from two distant byt fully staffed airports then pick a shorter flight with one of the airports without any controllers on duty. For now I do pick short flights that I can try to complete in full, but I know as soon as MFS supports VR and I get my preordered Reverb G2 and 2080 GPU to run it - I will definitely want to fly to and from exptic and beautiful locations that will need a time compression. I want to make sure I will be doing it right...

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Yeah, and while opinions vary widely on the topic of this being allowable and okay, personally I don't like it.  My opinion is that if you want to take off, cruise for a short amount of time, then land, it's so much easier just to pick a shorter flight.  But, I get that different people take their simming joy in different ways.  

Here Here!