You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Are pilots/planes from other games rendered?

Faiz-ur Rahman

Faiz-ur Rahman
Posted
Posted

I just started using VATSIM in MSFS2020 and was wondering if I would be able to see other VATSIM pilots even if they're not flying in MSFS2020. Do I need to set any specific options in the MSFS2020 World Map (e.g. no live traffic, no ATC, live weather)?

I assume this is what the model matching section in the client is for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted

Dear Faiz-ur,

You will see all VATSIM traffic, irrespective of which simulator they are using. This is one of the key benefits of our network, you get to fly with many other people, even though they may be from different countries and using different simulators.

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation

Faiz-ur Rahman
Posted
Posted

That's great to hear! And just to confirm there's no extra setup I have to do in the sim itself?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Well, apart from one of the VATSIM pilot clients, you'll need a set of "AI aircraft". Since I do not use MSFS, I am not sure whether you can use MSFS' stock aircraft to render other pilots next to you. Someone else will have to answer this question.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Since I do not use MSFS, I am not sure whether you can use MSFS' stock aircraft to render other pilots next to you.

At the moment, the only model matching option for MSFS is to use the stock aircraft to render other pilots. In other words, and to more directly answer @Faiz-ur Rahman's question, no additional setup is required in the sim in order to see other traffic. For FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane there are packages of stock models you can get (for free) that offer a much better depiction of other aircraft on the network. That's not yet available for MSFS but I'm sure something will appear in the coming months.

I wrote a guide for connecting to VATSIM for MSFS pilots here. This is just one of several resources you might use to determine how to get connected to VATSIM but I think it offers some helpful tips to the first-time user. Also, note there's an MSFS bug that causes low frame rates while connected to the network that should be fixed with a sim update today or tomorrow.

Edited by Evan Reiter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Sebastian Freier
Posted
Posted

I found it best to set Multiplayer to group only and Traffic to AI, not live. Otherwise I would always have non vatsim players rendered or no models injected.

• Like 1

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Sebastian Freier said:

found it best to set Multiplayer to group only and Traffic to AI, not live.

I believe the recommendation is for Traffic to "Off", not "AI'. 

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Sebastian Freier
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2020 at 12:06 PM, Evan Reiter said:

I believe the recommendation is for Traffic to "Off", not "AI'. 

Traffic off lead to my msfs 2020 not displaying injected traffic at all. I turned it to AI and just moved all sliders down to 0%. That seemed to work. I will check again and report back. Will be a couple of days though.

Faiz-ur Rahman
Posted
Posted
On 9/5/2020 at 10:25 PM, Sebastian Freier said:

Traffic off lead to my msfs 2020 not displaying injected traffic at all. I turned it to AI and just moved all sliders down to 0%. That seemed to work. I will check again and report back. Will be a couple of days though.

These are the settings I've been using and have seen VATSIM traffic just fine!image.thumb.png.dd131ed5f285ae8b7e49122e226fba7f.png

Sebastian Freier
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2020 at 2:41 AM, Faiz-ur Rahman said:

These are the settings I've been using and have seen VATSIM traffic just fine!image.thumb.png.dd131ed5f285ae8b7e49122e226fba7f.png

Yep, works here now as well... whatever that was the other day.

Richard Lee
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, Evan Reiter said:

At the moment, the only model matching option for MSFS is to use the stock aircraft to render other pilots. In other words, and to more directly answer @Faiz-ur Rahman's question, no additional setup is required in the sim in order to see other traffic. For FSX, Prepar3D, and X-Plane there are packages of stock models you can get (for free) that offer a much better depiction of other aircraft on the network. That's not yet available for MSFS but I'm sure something will appear in the coming months.

I wrote a guide for connecting to VATSIM for MSFS pilots here. This is just one of several resources you might use to determine how to get connected to VATSIM but I think it offers some helpful tips to the first-time user. Also, note there's an MSFS bug that causes low frame rates while connected to the network that should be fixed with a sim update today or tomorrow.

Thanks, your guide was really helpful!