You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EGKK Approach

Stuart Alger

Stuart Alger
Posted
Posted

Im new to Vatsim, just got MSFS 2020 like many, and have a question about my approach to Gatwick from my flight last night.

Below are the charts for the approach, and how the FMC on the A320 in MSFS interprets that:

image.thumb.png.d230696976c6e5291c613a47ecfa9b33.png

Clearly MSFS doesnt have it correct, and I cant seem to alter the waypoints in the FMC, so I guess I have to navigate manually.

But will the ATC expect me to do the 360 loop back to transition from STAR to approach, or will they normally expect me to go direct to MAY where the 2 first intersect, which is how I was directed in last night - I just want to know for future reference, there is enough going on trying to get to grips with the flight sim and vatsim, without being confused by the charts!

Christoph Reule
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, according to the charts there seem to be 2 possible transitions, one by WILLO, and another one by ASTRA. Don't know too much about MSFS2020, yet, but if you cannot select one of both transitions in the FMC I guess you have to fly it manually.

On the other hand, if ATC is present (speaking of APP/ACC) it's quite likely you'll be vectored into the ILS via MAY.

Edited by Christoph Reule

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Stuart Alger said:

But will the ATC expect me to do the 360 loop back to transition from STAR to approach, or will they normally expect me to go direct to MAY where the 2 first intersect, which is how I was directed in last night - I just want to know for future reference, there is enough going on trying to get to grips with the flight sim and vatsim, without being confused by the charts!

If holding is required then yes, you would be instructed to hold at WILLO via HOLLY (the better chart to look at would be the Gatwick STARs via WILLO chart) -- routing HOLLY-WILLO gives a direct entry to the hold at WILLO which makes life a lot neater.

Normally however if there is no delay ATC will vector you off the STAR much earlier than this and if you are not under ATC control and there is no need to hold at WILLO then I would do the same.

Vice President, Pilot Training