You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MSFS 2020 - lack of transmissions

Stuart Godfrey

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Thought I'd try vpilot out in MSFS2020 - all avionics on but I can't seem to hear anyone (atc or pilots) through the vpilot app. When i click my PTT the TX box lights up blue so I think that works, but otherwise not hearing a button. Screen shot below

image.png.790c4ae70e9a4fdefca192375e8a24af.png

Any thoughts welcome!

Faiz-ur Rahman
Posted
Posted

Obvious troubleshooting first: is the correct output device chosen in the vPilot settings?

Otherwise can you try tuning into an ATIS frequency to ensure you hear something? Maybe the frequency you were testing on was just dead. 😅

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted

It is indeed - can hear the text noise when something is typed in the atc box itself 🙂

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Stuart Godfrey said:

It is indeed - can hear the text noise when something is typed in the atc box itself 🙂

The text noise goes through your default Windows output device, not necessarily through the device selected in vPilot settings. The vPilot setting only determines where ATC audio goes.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross - it looks like I've got the right output selected. What i'm not seeing is the RX button flash up to show people are transmitting - would there be something that would need enabled to do this? I've used xpilot with xplane and had no issues - so wondering if its a MSFS 2020 issue?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's an MSFS issue since your vPilot screenshot shows that it is reading the frequency correctly and the TX/RX are white, which means your radios are powered up and configured for transmit and receive on COM1.

Are you 100% sure someone was transmitting on that frequency, within range?

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think so - was sitting at Gatwick and tuned to ground and London centre for about 20 minutes with nothing - would expect at least one in that busy airspace! But no lighting up of Rx at all.

Edited by Stuart Godfrey

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would contact the controller by text and ask them for a comms check so that you can be sure someone is transmitting. Also, ask them if they can hear you when you transmit.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross will try over the weekend and let you know.

Antonio Sessa
Posted
Posted

Hi, i have this problem : vpilot v.2.6.5 , msfs 2020 1.7.14 

If i change freq into my A320 radio the vpilot freq doesn't change, see image below

Any idea?

vpilot_a320neo.png

Antonio Sessa
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Antonio Sessa said:

Hi, i have this problem : vpilot v.2.6.5 , msfs 2020 1.7.14 

If i change freq into my A320 radio the vpilot freq doesn't change, see image below

Any idea?

Solved!

I had this option to ON , change to OFF and now vpilot change freq with radio panel

OPTIONS ---> ASSISTANCE ---> PILOTING ---> DELEGATE ATC TO AI

Faiz-ur Rahman
Posted
Posted

Hey Stuart, I think I might've been able to replicate the issue you were having. I had comms for my first couple of flights, but then I didn't have anything. I just had to restart vPilot to get it working. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks all - tried today with a controller and their transmission wasn't received (nor the RX button lighting up blue). I turned off assistance with ATC as noted two posts up as well to see if this would help.

Still get the noises from vpilot when texts are sent etc - so seems to be something to do with the voice transmissions within Vpilot itself from what you mentioned above Ross. I reinstalled vpilot to check if that would help but nothing.

I'v also downloaded xpilot and xplane and voice functions on this no problem - so seems isolated to vpilot and MSFS 2020.

Any next steps to troubleshoot?

Edited by Stuart Godfrey

Stuart Godfrey
Posted
Posted

Solved - happy days. The Mic on my headset was broken... this didn't impact the xpilot side of things but did impact vpilot - tried a new headset and we are working! Thanks all.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Stuart, I don't know how a broken mic would prevent you from receiving audio from controllers, so there's probably more to the story, but I'm glad you got it working! :D