You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to transmit

John Dunbar

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

Prior to switching over to MS 2020 I used FSX for a very long time. I also used vpilot and was am familiar with how to setup the software when using FS and MS 2020 I am using Karken Ultimate headset that work very well with vpilot. When I switched over to MS 2020 and connected to vpilot, it asked to update to latest version which I did. I filled out the required info and  selected  my headset I noticed I was  unable  to test the volume on the slider. I repeated the steps with the same results. I went to Windows 10 and checked headset and it worked. Went back MS 2020 and selected fly and connect to vpilot. I could hear 5 X 5 but when I tried to transmit controller said that all he heard was static he could see my call sign. I changed to a different gaming headset with the same result. I then went a cheap headset that came with Rosetta Stone software that worked.

Any thoughts would help.

John

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Could you send us a screenshot of:

1. Your vPilot audio settings?
  2. Your Windows Sound Control Panel settings (both the Playback and Recording tabs)?

That might help us diagnose the issue.

If you aren't already, run vPilot, as well as any control panel software for your Karken Ultimate headset, "as Administrator".

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

Here is the info reqvpilot.PNG.f688ace71d1ca32cc6db39003fd13f65.PNGmic.PNG.a692e1969e1e8a567c2c101c2f7ebf7e.PNGheadsets.PNG.0a34fc0354495bafc7da04d5d9ebaaf7.PNGuested, I hope this heplps.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Can you show us this screen:

image.png.1660e15863bd135d5ae923cc4a095665.png

You get there by clicking "Sound Control Panel" from your Sound Settings:

image.png.0d54b006539164306117e9df826f1575.png

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

Evan,

Attached is the doc.

Thanks in advance.

John

mic2.PNG

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the screenshots!

From my perspective, it seems you have things configured correctly. When you have the Kraken Ultimate headset on, when you speak, do you see a "level" shown? In other words, is the headset working in Windows? 

Have you tried this again since the first time you weren't able to get through to ATC? It's not impossible that you were just outside of the audio range of the controller you were trying to reach (there are situations where you can hear them but they can only barely hear you). Nothing comes to my mind in your settings that would explain why you can receive, but not transmit, voice.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

When I select Kraken headset in the mic device settings,  I am unable to test the volume control. I have switched gamming headsets and get the same issue. When I switch to cheap headset Mic (2 USB VoIP Device Vpilot works. I doesn't work when I plug in a gamming headset?

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Right. What I'm asking is whether Windows is setting the Kraken/gaming headset working (and only vPilot isn't) or whether Windows also doesn't receive input. This would help us troubleshoot whether the issue is with how you're connecting the Kraken/gaming headsets or if it's with vPilot. 

If you plug in the Kraken headset, then go to this window:

mic2.PNG

And then try to say something...do you see the green bar on the right moving up and down as you speak?

image.png.59e172e9e98b9f5d7a639d7fe3cfe49b.png

Or does the screen always look exactly as in the screenshot above? 

You could also try double-clicking on the Kraken "Microphone" and making sure the level is turned up:

image.png.1212a6ae7222b5f09de958616e772351.png

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

I went into the sound control panel (playback) configured the Karken razer mic, levels were very good on test of the mic (green levels) I then started the simulator connected with vpilot, sent a text to ATL center that I would be doing a mic check they said OK. When I tried the mic check, ATL came back no carrier or quite.

John

mic 3.PNG

Sergio Guzman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Exactly same problem here using ASUS ROG Headsets, I have no problem with windows and other applications but vPilot not recognizing my mic.

4.thumb.png.5f6ac520eebfb78240b2782b072b9959.png2.thumb.png.939553fe6f40eb700b04f7ee581016b0.png1.thumb.png.f5030807a6d9b25b0d1dbbce297a8343.png

Edited by Sergio Guzman
Upload image

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem,  I thought that it was only me with the problem, hopefully vatsim can fix this problem!

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Are you guys both running vPilot and any audio/control software for the headsets "as Administrator"? 

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

I am running the vpilot software as the administrator. The only other software is for surround sound which I just added

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Then, from my perspective, I'm totally out of ideas. It seems to me that your settings are as they should be, and I can't see anything in your Windows settings that should cause this. 

Hopefully one of the developers or support folks here on the forums have some other ideas. Sorry I couldn't be of any help!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

John Dunbar
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your patients and time.

John Dunbar

• 4 weeks later...
Jannis Fliegel
Posted
Posted

I have the same prob 😕

• 9 months later...
Barron Barnett
Posted
Posted

Ok, so I recently started trying to get back into Vatsim and had the same issue as OP.  For anyone else having this issue I have found this is counter intuitive and not related to the microphone but the output device.

I figured it out because if I changed the output audio suddenly it would work.

In your sound setting for your desired output device you need to find the following page:
image.png.d9be34b8cb84dc1cbc7122b1a65d8a11.png

By default the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is checked.

UNCHECK THAT BOX.

You might need to restart vPilot but that fixed the issue for me.

• 10 months later...
Philip Walker
Posted
Posted

Thank You Barron Barnett.  This worked for me too.