You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Alternative Infill Color... Posible?

Gustavo Valdez

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I'm trying to create the Mexico Vatsys sector! Everything is sailing smoothly but i've run into a crossroad. In Mexico, radar coverage is limited, so controllers in their display have Infill information about the radar coverage (See picture).

CENTRO DE CONTROL RADAR MEXICO 30 Dic.2016 - YouTube

So I recreated that by using a map like this <Map Type="Filled" Name="MMID_RADAR_AIRWAYS" Priority="3">. It worked perfectly (Excuse the colors, they are temporary hahaha)!

image.thumb.png.0e7f1edd8b5d4cf05ce89459daef67ba.png

My problem tho is that that is the same color that Vatsys uses when shading the active sector volume (<Colour id="Infill"><Use>Filled Area Map</Use>...</Colour>) In approach positions this is no issue, but in CTR it is 😞

Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks!

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm running into color problems too. I'm not sure how dynamic the colors are. In the documentation, the attributes don't match the color id's in the colours.xml. I know EuroCat/Topsky likes to keep their colors standard and mono, but the US system is a bit too colorful... I'd ideally like to have around 5 separate colors for airspaces, geography, the rest of the adjacent facilities, airways, navaids, etc..

image.thumb.png.b6a0968446ce9cba885a43e904733ec2.png

to something like this
image.thumb.png.6656cc846e8e063af994657ed3f0b69b.png

Edited by Dominic Nguyen

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gustavo Valdez said:

Hello!

I'm trying to create the Mexico Vatsys sector! Everything is sailing smoothly but i've run into a crossroad. In Mexico, radar coverage is limited, so controllers in their display have Infill information about the radar coverage (See picture).

So I recreated that by using a map like this <Map Type="Filled" Name="MMID_RADAR_AIRWAYS" Priority="3">. It worked perfectly (Excuse the colors, they are temporary hahaha)!

My problem tho is that that is the same color that Vatsys uses when shading the active sector volume (<Colour id="Infill"><Use>Filled Area Map</Use>...</Colour>) In approach positions this is no issue, but in CTR it is 😞

Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks!

There is only the one infill colour for now. Infills may have the attribute Type:

<... Type="Background" ...>

Background will cause the infill to paint in the ASD background colour instead of the infill colour. But I'm not sure if that will help.

If you don't need the sector shading, it can be turned off in the Maps menu.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dominic Nguyen said:

I'm running into color problems too. I'm not sure how dynamic the colors are. In the documentation, the attributes don't match the color id's in the colours.xml. I know EuroCat/Topsky likes to keep their colors standard and mono, but the US system is a bit too colorful... I'd ideally like to have around 5 separate colors for airspaces, geography, the rest of the adjacent facilities, airways, navaids, etc..

The map types are mapped to colour id's, they don't each have their own colour. You've already found the 3 possible colours by the looks of it 🙂

I might add more down the line, at the moment it's just what Eurocat has.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake Saw said:

There is only the one infill colour for now. Infills may have the attribute Type:

<... Type="Background" ...>

Background will cause the infill to paint in the ASD background colour instead of the infill colour. But I'm not sure if that will help.

If you don't need the sector shading, it can be turned off in the Maps menu.

That would be a HUGE feature request from us since the  real radar has that. We would need to have Background (Check), Active sector Infill (Check), Radar Coverage Infill (Not checked 😞 ) and the rest (Checked).

Hopefully something can be done.

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

I'm looking to alternatives to maximize the amount of colors. Are the map types tied to a specific format of children data being entered? Ie., Type = "Filled" requires infills and cannot be just line elements? Or any of the Ground_.. types?

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Just hold off for a minute Dominic, I'll have something for you and Gustavo shortly.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Gustavo and Dominic,

In the latest build you can now define custom colours and reference them in your Maps. See https://www.virtualairtrafficsystem.com/docs/dpk/#colour-ids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

You're the best! I don't want to turn this forum into a feature request ridden one! 

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jake Saw said:

Gustavo and Dominic,

In the latest build you can now define custom colours and reference them in your Maps. See https://www.virtualairtrafficsystem.com/docs/dpk/#colour-ids

You are the man! Exactly what we needed! 

• Thanks 1

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted

In the same lines Jake, in my México Center image, the FIR lines (yellow lines) are "dot, line, dot, line, etc". I've tried every style in the docs (Solid, Broken, Hash, Dashed, Dotted, None). Is there any line that would get me the same result?

Heres the image again for reference

CENTRO DE CONTROL RADAR MEXICO 30 Dic.2016 - YouTube

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Gustavo, 

Broken is what should give the desired effect, but you've discovered a bug. Fixed next build (shortly).

Jake

Developer - vatSys