You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Captain Sim Tristar

APJ Rogers

APJ Rogers
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I've got the Captain Sim L-1011 Tristar for P3DV4 and am highly anticipating the release of the Just Flight 747 classic. So I'm here because I want to try them on vatsim (I've got a great website with a list of vintage airline routes that I'm keen to try) but unfortunately the L-1011 only has an INS primitive transponder and no TCAS instrument, and the 747 classic will apparently have a TCAS but an INS on release (although they've said they're considering adding an FMS down the line). Anyway, to get to the point I want to check in and make sure if I can fly it on VATSIM. The L-1011 INS has a little trick you can use to insert full flight plans, including SIDS/STARS, but obviously it's not exactly RNAV capable. So can I fly on vatsim without being a major pain in the ass, and if so, do I need to put any special remarks or comments in the flightplan? Or is it easier for everyone if I just fly offline and hope for a retrofit?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, yes you can. Just make sure that ATC is aware of the fact that you cannot follow all categories of RNAV procedures.

Re TCAS: Check this out: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118237#p150477

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

APJ Rogers
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Hi, yes you can. Just make sure that ATC is aware of the fact that you cannot follow all categories of RNAV procedures.

Re TCAS: Check this out: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118237#p150477

Thank you very much. I'll install that gauge.

As to informing ATC, is the best way to do that inserting a remark in the flightplan, or just giving them a heads up when getting clearance? Or both?

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

If useful for filing purposes (to advise ATC of aircraft nav capabilities), Lockheed Martin L-1011, FAA legacy code = L101/Z
[Type designator: L101; VOR/DME, or INS, transponder with Mode C, = /I or /Z (for RVSM)]

If pre-filing using ICAO flight plan format, try:
TYP: L101/H
EQUIP: SDIRZ/LB2
PBN/B5C4D4
REMARKS: Unable RNAV sid/star/GPS approach

INS facilitates area navigation (rnav), but obviously does not enable satellite-based GNSS/GPS navigation.
If a published procedure cannot be retrieved from a current FMS/database, irl pilots may not manually enter in waypoints for rnav sid/star, RNAV/GPS approach.
For departure/arrivals/approaches, it will likely be using VOR, ILS, DME, NDB, intercepting radials, etc and/or radar vectors.

... and for VATSIM, practice saying "Unable. Negative GPS/GNSS."

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mike Sweeney
  • Thanks 2

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

APJ Rogers
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers guys. Very helpful.