You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MFSF 2020 - LDA 19 KDCA -- Selection gives incorrect approach

Geoffrey Drayson

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted

MFSF 2020 - LDA 19  KDCA  -- Selection gives incorrect approach

It would seem that MSFS 2020  does not now what a LDA approach is.

When flying IFR (low Alt routes),  the LDA Y 19 @ KDCA is a presented option, but when selected,  but it only puts the 1st 2 Fixes into the flight plan.

After that, it does a sharp Left turn off the 149 Deg LDA approach course, and swings round south to a straight in approach to runway 19, effectively taking you over P595,  which will certainly get you into trouble with the White House !!.

While I am confident that any Washington approach controller would know the LDA 19,  MSFS 2020 does not,  so a MSFS 2020 constructed flight plan, will not be correct, unless you enter every fix in by hand  into the G1000,  which is a massive PITA.

The KDCA  lAD 19 is one of the world's most challenging approach, especially at night  when weather is down to minimums, and is one of my favorite approaches to try in commercial simulators  (would make a Great Vatsim Event) ..  but in it's current state,it  is made extra difficult  by MFSF's poor support of LDA approaches.

I started the process of reporting it as a bug to Microsoft,  but after 5 hours of frustration  with the Sim, the hoops one is required to jump through to report is as a   bug, was more than my patience would stand at 2am

Just glad I check it out Offline, rather than jumping straight into Vatsim  with that one !!!  ..  Would have been a mess as far as MSFS 2020 is concerned...( I know Vatsim DCA approach  would have been fine with it!!!)

Would be interest to hear if anyone else has had better luck with this approach in MSFS 2020  .. maybe I am missing something in this Virgin sim ????

sig

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a screenshot of what MSFS 2020  creates as an LDA approach into KDCA

No idea what the "way-point"   is at  "?"  (no "fix" there ) -- it probably is just am extended center-line for RWY 19,  of a given distance ??

Yes, there are many more important bugs/error  in MSFS  to address than LDAs,  but this is one that I have not seen mentioned before,  so this is the one I am going to run with,  until it is "fixed"   (Forgive the Pun !!)

Note:  This incorrect approach take you right over the rectangular Prohibited Zone   ( The Whitehouse)  !!!

BTW: Talking about REALISM.  Last night  on MSFS 2020, I  flew  a C175 into Runway 19 @ KDCA,  flying the correct course, not entering either of the two prohibited area.

Landed and taxied to the fuel pumps at GA,  and called for a Fuel truck.

REALISTIC,  like in real wold,  it took its time getting to me.

Before it did, another vehicle drove up and stopped next to my plane.

It was the AIRPORT POLICE  !!!   Coincidence,  or is this really extra AI realism -- Checking out a non-resident C175,  flying into Regan National !!!

KDCA lda_19.png

Edited by Geoffrey Drayson

sig

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

The internal navdata is nowhere near as good as the offerings from aerosoft and navigraph.

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

The internal navdata is nowhere near as good as the offerings from aerosoft and navigraph.

So,  is there a way in MSFS2020  to use non-MSFS  NavData ?    (I believe that was possible back in FSX )...  can MSFS2020  accept such data that was originally meant for FSX.?

I am wonder just how many Addons  from FSX  are able to be used in MSFS 2020  (without specific modification specifically for MSFS2020)

ie  I would love to be able to run the FSX   Radar/Control Tower gauge in a separate window in MSFS2020 , (ie  Not the whole Tower model-- just the Radar Gauge  and it's Control Gauge.

sig

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Just for clarification, Geoffrey, you keep saying IAD (Dulles International) when you mean DCA (Reagan National). 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Geoffrey Drayson said:

So,  is there a way in MSFS2020  to use non-MSFS  NavData ?    (I believe that was possible back in FSX )...  can MSFS2020  accept such data that was originally meant for FSX.?

I am wonder just how many Addons  from FSX  are able to be used in MSFS 2020  (without specific modification specifically for MSFS2020)

ie  I would love to be able to run the FSX   Radar/Control Tower gauge in a separate window in MSFS2020 , (ie  Not the whole Tower model-- just the Radar Gauge  and it's Control Gauge.

Well navigraph got a beta for mfs running atm which you can sign up for but you need to be a subscriber of their ultimate product or another one.

this should fix some issues 

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Just for clarification, Geoffrey, you keep saying IAD (Dulles International) when you mean DCA (Reagan National). 

OOOPS .....  Correct.. thks.. I will go back and correct.

sig

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Koen Meier said:

Well navigraph got a beta for mfs running atm which you can sign up for but you need to be a subscriber of their ultimate product or another one.

this should fix some issues 

Just to be clear  ...   If navigraph works in FS2020,  then it will be able to update the nav dat that all the Default Planes in the sim have  to the updated Database,  so if I fly a G1000 equipped default plane,  all the nav database info will be correct.

HOWEVER,  I do not think this  LDA issue is cause by a Nav Database issue...   I think it is a fault in FS2020's processing of that Data,  where for the last few miles, it routes you to an extended runway line,  instead of through the last few fixes  of the LDA   approach.

Also interesting is that the RNAV  River Visual approach  DOES put you through all the correct fixes, (no Extended 19 Runway)

I think I have managed to Program my own Manually entered LDA approach in, making the LDA Localizer the last WPT before the runway,   and then going back and editing the file manually to correct the Fix altitudes.        That is something that is also missing in FS2020  (that was in FSX).. being able to edit fix Crossing altitudes, (in the Sims VFR/IFR Map).

FSX map was nice, you could DRAG your route to anywhere, including your own instantly created way points.

Interesting to note ..  MSFS2020   KIAD LDA Y Rwy 19,  "only" routes you through P56A,   while  KIAD LDA Z Rwy 19   does even worse, and manages to route you through  BOTH P56B   AND P56A

No Lasers or Missiles launched through  !!!!        ( The laser  would have been a nice "extra"  in the new Sim !!! ) .

-------

Messing about with all of this as a side,  on getting MSFS2020  setup up, and working with the MS Sidewinder 2  Force Feedback joystick  -   whose setup config is not supported in MSFS2020,  and then will still be waiting for  FSFORCE  to update  to MSFS2020 Full FORCE modes compatibility    ( Simconnect issues !!!)

Edited by Geoffrey Drayson

sig