You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS Editor Freeze

Anthony Power

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Wondering if anyone can help or has encountered this:

vatSys is crashing when I try to set up an ATIS, not sure if it's a vatSys bug or some problem on my end.  I can connect to the network, set up my frequency etc. When I go to the ATIS editor I can put in all the details (airport, load the METAR, add the RWY etc), then when I click save the ATIS Editor window grey's out and vatSYS freezes.  I've waited for a few minutes with no change, I can't close the window or interact with any of the other vatSys windows etc.

I've tried multiple positions and locations and have the same issue, I'm running vatSys "as admin".  Any suggestions?

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

Hi Anthony.

What version of windows are you running? Which microsoft TTS voice are you selecting?

Zach

Zach Biesse-Fitton
VATSIM Developer and Supervisor | VATPAC Division Director

vatSys Development Team

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Zach,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. (The update to build 2004 is available but I haven't installed it yet)

In vatSys Microsoft David Desktop is selected as the voice (which is also the default in my Windows settings).

Tony

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

Thanks Anthony.

Are you connecting to the network before or after attemping to create the ATIS? Can you send a screenshot of the ATIS window?

Cheers.

Zach

Zach Biesse-Fitton

vatSys Development Team

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Zach, sorry the delay in replying, was having dinner.

I'm connecting to the network before attempting to create the ATIS.  I've attached two screenshots, one just before and one just after clicking the "SAVE" button.  After hitting save vatSys just stays stuck there and I can't do anything.

Thanks,

Tony

vatSys ATIS 1.PNG

vatSys ATIS 2.PNG

Edited by Anthony Power

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would probably say EIA is causing the issues.

Just put EXP INST APCH or ILS in the box.

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

Anthony,

Can you try EXP INST APCH instead of EIA?

Z

Zach Biesse-Fitton

vatSys Development Team

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

I tried it and mine worked fine with EIA, so Ill retract what i said before, and ah we better let Jake take over...

atis.jpg

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Just tried:

INST

ILS

EXP INST APCH

No luck unfortunately, still locks up every time. 

Callum Strawbridge
Posted
Posted

Hi Mate,

Try putting up a manual recording ATIS and let us know if that works.

Cheers,

Cal

• Like 1

Callum Strawbridge

VATPAC Senior Instructor 

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Cal,

The manual recording seems to work.  First time when I broadcast I got an error:

ATIS: Could not broadcast voice ATIS.  PUT api/v1/bots/YBSC_ATIS failed (InternalServerError - "Bot Server failed.")

But the second time it worked with no error.  So just seems to be the text to speech ATIS where the problem lies.

Cheers,

Tony

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

PS - Although when I click "monitor ATIS" in the VSCS, I can't hear anything, so not sure if it's actually transmitting (broadcast button is selected in ATIS editor).

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Anthony Power said:

ATIS: Could not broadcast voice ATIS.  PUT api/v1/bots/YBSC_ATIS failed (InternalServerError - "Bot Server failed.")

AFV ATIS Server dummy spit.

1 minute ago, Anthony Power said:

PS - Although when I click "monitor ATIS" in the VSCS, I can't hear anything, so not sure if it's actually transmitting (broadcast button is selected in ATIS editor).

What about when you click listen in the ATIS editor?

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just did another recorded ATIS, no error message, about 20 seconds after recording clicked "monitor ATIS" and got the first 10 seconds or so of the ATIS, then it cut out, and now nothing at all.  So it's a bit weird.  But at least vatSys isn't crashing with the manual recording.

Edited by Anthony Power

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Kirk Christie said:

What about when you click listen in the ATIS editor?

Sorry Kirk I missed that, when I click listen in the ATIS editor I hear the voice ATIS I recorded, no problem.

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Tony,

It seems that Speech could be the culprit, but I haven't seen this type of failure before.

Can you navigate to `Documents\vatSys Files`, and if there are any "running_log.txt" files present please attach them here.

Additionally, if you can go to Windows Speech Settings and confirm the selected Speech Language and Installed voice packages (a screenshot might be easiest). I also assume if you click the Preview voice option in this panel it works correctly.

If you type ms-settings:speech into explorer or a web browser you will be redirected to the correct Speech settings window. 

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake,

I've attached the "running_log.txt" file that was there (I had to change the extension to pdf to allow me to attach, if you change it back to txt it should open fine).

I've attached screenshots of my windows speech settings, and yes if I click preview voice it works correctly.

Cheers,

Tony

Speech 1.PNG

Speech 2.PNG

Speech 3.PNG

running_log20200913.pdf

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Everything looks normal as far as I can tell. Have you tried selecting a different TTS voice in vatSys?

Edited by Jake Saw

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

In vatSys I have two voice options (David and Zira).  Trying either results in a vatSys lockup.  Very strange indeed.

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jake Saw said:

Everything looks normal as far as I can tell. Have you tried selecting a different TTS voice in vatSys?

19 hours ago, Anthony Power said:

In vatSys I have two voice options (David and Zira).  Trying either results in a vatSys lockup.  Very strange indeed.

Don't suppose there is anything else I can try Jake?  Happy to keep trying to nail down the issue, and use a manual voice recorded ATIS in the meantime.

Zach Biesse-Fitton
Posted
Posted

Anthony, Are you able to remove and re-install the Voice Packs in the windows speech settings?

It's like the voices are not quite installed properly.

Zach Biesse-Fitton

vatSys Development Team

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Zach, I have two Voice Packs in the windows speech settings, English (Australia) and English (United States).  However the "Remove" button is grayed out for both of them and I can't remove them. 

I tried using text to speech in a random Microsoft Word document and it worked fine.

Do you know a way I can uninstall and then reinstall the voice packs?  I had a look at google but couldn't find anything, just stuff relating to language packs as opposed to voice packs. (Or stuff saying click the "Remove" button, which I can't do.)

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Tony,

There will be a new build tonight with some minor ATIS changes. I doubt anything will change for you, but it will be worth a try. 

In the meantime, in addition to Zach's suggestion you could also try installing the windows update you mentioned - but again, I'm doubtful. 

After tonights build is out, I'll likely need to compile a build just for you with detailed logging so we can see what is occurring when you hit Save.

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake,

I did a /sfc scannow to check the system files, no luck there.   No having any luck uninstalling and reinstalling the voice packs, it won't let me as I mentioned above.

I'll install the Windows update (feature update to Windows 10, version 2004), just in case.

I really appreciate you (and Zach, Callum and Kirk) taking the time to help with this, I know these kinds of issues can be frustrating to nail down.  Thanks very much for your efforts.  I'll let you know if the update to the vatSys build tonight or the Windows 10 update changes anything, otherwise yeah a logging build might be the next step, cheers.

Tony

• Like 1

Anthony Power
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake,

I installed the Windows update and tried again with updated build (at least there was an update when I loaded vatSys this evening, so I assume that was it).  No luck unfortunately, still locks up when I hit 'save'.