You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

If I use the automatic altimeter setting in MSFS 2020, will ATC controllers see the same altitude that I am showing?

Richard Lee

Richard Lee
Posted
Posted

Hi.  I am a total newbie to VATSIM and I just completed my first flight (a simple traffic pattern).  Anyways, if you play MSFS 2020, you may be aware that the live weather is broken.  In any case, since I am a newbie, I prefer to set my own weather anyways (calm weather of course) and I prefer to set the time to some time during the day so it's easier for me as a newbie to navigate.

In MSFS 2020, there is an option to let MSFS 2020 set the altimeter for you automatically by pressing the "B" key (it usually sets it to 29.92).  My questions is, if I let MSFS 2020 set the altimeter for me with the "B" key, and I fly to 1000 feet on my altimeter, will my altitude also show as 1000 feet to the ATC controller in VATSIM?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, it will. As long as the altimeter setting in your aircraft matches the actual ambient pressure in your sim, then you'll be sending your indicated altitude to the network for display on the ATC scopes.

• Like 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Lee
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Yes, it will. As long as the altimeter setting in your aircraft matches the actual ambient pressure in your sim, then you'll be sending your indicated altitude to the network for display on the ATC scopes.

I have no idea what the typical ambient pressure is in MSFS.  Anyways, I suppose I can confirm my altitude with an ATC controller when I am in flight and that's the easiest way to verify the ATC controller is seeing the same altitude that I am seeing.

Thanks for your response!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Richard Lee said:

I have no idea what the typical ambient pressure is in MSFS.

As you mentioned, if you hit the B key, it will set your altimeter to the local ambient pressure.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Lee
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

As you mentioned, if you hit the B key, it will set your altimeter to the local ambient pressure.

Ok, cool!  Then it should just work!  Thanks!

Daniel Forslund
Posted
Posted

Ok, so that is what I have been doing wrong!

I have relied on the "live" weather in MSFS matching the ATIS on VATSIM, but have suspected that it doesn't. Two times I have been asked to check my QNH and I have done so and it have been set correctly. I was likely still deviating from my assigned alt. 

Did not know about the B keyboard command, so I will use that from now on to avoid confusion. Thanks! 🙂

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Hopefully the new patch for MSFS will improve the weather accuracy. Or, perhaps ActiveSky will come out with an MSFS version. 

Pilots in default FSX/FSX:SE/P3D routinely have this issue. I always recommend grabbing ActiveSky (a payware weather add-on) or using the "B" key so you're using what your simulator thinks the altimeter is. 

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Evan Reiter said:

Hopefully the new patch for MSFS will improve the weather accuracy. Or, perhaps ActiveSky will come out with an MSFS version. 

Pilots in default FSX/FSX:SE/P3D routinely have this issue. I always recommend grabbing ActiveSky (a payware weather add-on) or using the "B" key so you're using what your simulator thinks the altimeter is. 

Ask and thou shall recieve... 😉https://fselite.net/news/rex-announces-weather-force-2020-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new