You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Would ATC accomodate FS2020 limitations?

Diego Vasquez

Anthony Serna
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Claudiu Dragomir said:

From MSFS freeware, I recommend:

• FlyByWire's A320 Neo
  • Working Title's CJ4
  • Working Title's G1000NX, G3000 add-ons (I think they're integrated by default since the Sim Update 9?) for general aviation

They all have custom built FMS and can handle very well all the SIDs/STARs and directs, as well as provide integration with SimBrief.

From paid products

I have used Aerosoft's CRJ 700-900: very good FMS, no problems whatsoever following SIDs/STARs.

If you have a Navigraph subsciption, it will show your airplane position on the chart. It makes it trivial to follow it in heading/vs mode.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll have to check them out! 🙂

43 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

I don't think that ATC has the authority to tell anyone to disconnect. The correct procedure is that ATC calls a supervisor and they mediate the situation. You should contact the ATC organisation responsible for the service you were getting and inform them of the facts of the issue. This gives them an opportunity for additional training where indicated. That way, everyone benefits.

Yeah he didn't force me to disconnect rather he just told me to and I did anyway since It seems like he was having a bad day and I didn't want to cause anymore confusion for him even though since the airspace wasn't as busy. But next time I will probably report an incident like this but looking to avoid it with getting a new FMC software.

Alex Ying
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, Anthony Serna said:

It's amazing how this still applies today... Today was doing a flight and ATC told me to go direct GOBBY. Put that in the FMC and it didn't work Aircraft did not turn or nothing sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't is what I noticed. Had someone at ATC won't name who tell me I should "Disconnect and learn my aircraft and that's not an excuse" Despite me flying this type of aircraft since FSX. I even told him my FMC is glitching out. Since this ATC didn't seem in a good mood anyway i just said roger that will do and disconnected. But it did infuriate me just a little. Rather him give me a heading to help me out his idea was just for me to disconnect. Not very nice at all...

Without getting into the controller telling you to disconnect (they should not be doing that, but that's a separate issue), there is a better and a worse way to go about this as a pilot.

Worse: "My autopilot isn't working." When I hear this as a controller, I'm questioning whether you understand how to operate your aircraft. Regardless of whether that is the case or not, when that's all you say, the impression the controller gets is that you haven't done anything to try to fix the problem and are complaining to the controller, rather than reducing the level of automation and flying manually.

Better: "Request vectors, unable direct [XYZ]." This tells me that you understand how to operate your plane and are capable of flying at lower automation levels. I'm much happier to help you here because you're putting in the requisite effort on your end. Everyone works together as a team and we get you where you need to go.

Long story short, don't be helpless. Make sure the way in which you tell ATC are are or aren't able to do something indicates what you can accept, because there are plenty of pilots who log on without fully understanding how to operate their aircraft without autopilot or know how to troubleshoot when something unexpected happens.

Edited by Alex Ying
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Instructor // ZNY/ZWY Facility Coordinator

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Alex Ying said:

controller telling you to disconnect (they should be doing that,

Really? Or did you miss out "not" in which case I have it completely wrong?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Anthony Serna
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

So, what SIM, addon aircraft, version of navigation database (cycle) etc. are you using?

MFS2020 Was using the 737 MAX That was available to purchase on the Flight sim Marketplace using Current Cycle 2208 Also used Sim-brief for the flight plan generation.

Anthony Serna
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alex Ying said:

Without getting into the controller telling you to disconnect (they should be doing that, but that's a separate issue), there is a better and a worse way to go about this as a pilot.

Worse: "My autopilot isn't working." When I hear this as a controller, I'm questioning whether you understand how to operate your aircraft. Regardless of whether that is the case or not, when that's all you say, the impression the controller gets is that you haven't done anything to try to fix the problem and are complaining to the controller, rather than reducing the level of automation and flying manually.

Better: "Request vectors, unable direct [XYZ]." This tells me that you understand how to operate your plane and are capable of flying at lower automation levels. I'm much happier to help you here because you're putting in the requisite effort on your end. Everyone works together as a team and we get you where you need to go.

Long story short, don't be helpless. Make sure the way in which you tell ATC are are or aren't able to do something indicates what you can accept, because there are plenty of pilots who log on without fully understanding how to operate their aircraft without autopilot or know how to troubleshoot when something unexpected happens.

Maybe that was my mistake not clarifying because i did feel like I should of on some parts and areas. I did ask for a heading to go direct GOBBY then that's when it was mentioned from atc for me to log off. I guess he just wasn't having it that day or something.

The way you put it sounds better though!  "Request vectors, unable direct [XYZ]." I'll give this version a try when I'm back on! 👍

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Anthony Serna said:

MFS2020 Was using the 737 MAX That was available to purchase on the Flight sim Marketplace using Current Cycle 2208 Also used Sim-brief for the flight plan generation.

In case that it is the Bredok 737MAX, it has received terrible reviews.

I suggest you give the freeware FlyByWire A320Neo a go. The FMS works all the time, not every now and then...

Anthony Serna
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

In case that it is the Bredok 737MAX, it has received terrible reviews.

I suggest you give the freeware FlyByWire A320Neo a go. The FMS works all the time, not every now and then...

What's crazy is I just got recommended a video on YouTube just now About the Bredok 737MAX and how there's so many things broken on it lol! Wishing i saw that video first before buying it haha! I did indeed fly the A320Neo Before on single player. Fun to fly and everything works on it! Might just start flying that more on vatsim!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Anthony Serna said:

I did indeed fly the A320Neo Before on single player. Fun to fly and everything works on it! Might just start flying that more on vatsim!

Make sure you use the FBW version of the A320Neo and not the default A320Neo that comes with MSFS!

Before buying addons, especially aircraft that you expect to have a certain level of complexity, it is better to make some research and ask people. Otherwise you just sink money into things that you do not want.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

And test-fly offline -- including practicing runway changes, shortcuts, and other possible VATSIM ATC scenarios -- to build confidence that you know how to operate the key functions and that they react predictably.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Hindsight is a wonderful thing however, if GOBBY was a fix in your flight plan, and your FMC/MCDU is not playing ball, the best solution, zoom out on the ND till you see where GOBBY is on your route, switch to Heading Select/Selected mode and wind the heading around so it aligns with the location of GOBBY and then work on your issues.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

...when flying the Airbus, you can even change from HDG to TRK (track mode = heading corrected for wind drift), which makes it even easier to navigate directly to a given fix.

Alex Ying
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, Alistair Thomson said:

Really? Or did you miss out "not" in which case I have it completely wrong?

Typo'd, fixed thanks

• Like 1

spacer.png

Instructor // ZNY/ZWY Facility Coordinator