You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Looking for work in an Aviation company (SE)

Lewis Haldenby 974268

Lewis Haldenby 974268
Posted
Posted

I am student at Portsmouth studying European Business, and am looking to work in the wonderful world of Aviation when I graduate.

My yearly plan for my course lookes like:

Oct 06 - June 07 - Study at Portsmouth Uni

Oct 07 - June 08 - Study at Nebrija Uni (in Madrid)

Sep 08 - March 09 - Work in Spain for a Spanish copmany

March 09 - Sep 09 - Work in London

Oct 09 - Feb 10 - Study at Nebrija Uni (in Madrid)

Feb 10 - June 10 - Study at Portsmouth Uni

I worked in a flying school for 3 1/2 years (2.5 part time and a year full time), but I want to work on a much larger scale when I'm older, but during the SUmmer holidays, I would like to work in a large-ish copmany to build up my CV more. Also, as I have to work in London for 6 months as part of my course, I thought it would be a good way to get more contacts for when I work over the Summer Holidays.

I live about 25 miles south of London, so I was thinking of looking for a work placement at London City Airport, maybe as a handling agent. I would also have the oppertunity to drive to airports such as Gatwick, Heathrow or Farnborough, but I hate the M25. However, I thought it may be appropriate to work for a Spanish company, as I will be living there for a few years, and also hope to live and work in Spain when I graduate. Also, I guess having experience working for a Spanish company in England would help me find work when I spend my work placement in Spain in 2 year time.

So, I guess my question would be: are there any Spanish airlines that have offices at London City Airport, or maybe at Gatwick airport, as this is the easiest for me to drive to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone here has sons/daughters who ar eapplying to University soon, especially for a business course, I would really recommend Portsmouth. We have a nice new Business School with lots of new computers, a very resourceful library, and the town is great for students with lots of cheap restaurants, bars, clubs, and we have quite a low level of crime.

Nigel Spink 811859
Posted
Posted

Hi Lewis,

I really hope you are able to achieve your aims for the future. I have a relative job searching within the industry therefore I know how tough it can be. I was fortunate to work for an air charter company and now work in ATC so feel very lucky and privileged.

Have you considered the relationship with BAA (British Airports Authority) and Ferrovial? http://www.ferrovial.com/index.asp

Might be worth a look considering your Spansih links.

All the best,

Nigel

EGTT RTS Manager

ATCO London Area Control Centre (Swanwick)

63837862-S.jpg

Lewis Haldenby 974268
Posted
Posted
Have you considered the relationship with BAA (British Airports Authority) and Ferrovial? http://www.ferrovial.com/index.asp

Sorry, what do Ferrovial do?

Matthew Lewis 878286
Posted
Posted

Ferrovial are the group that have now acquired the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets of and now control BAA plc. If you want to avoid driving, there is always the direct train to Gatwick Airport from Portsmouth which takes around an hour and half. Otherwise, albeit a lot smaller, you have Southampton Airport which is also managed by BAA 20 miles up the road at Junction 5 of the M27.

Matt

we have quite a low level of crime.
PS Is this this the same Portsmouth I know all too well on the south coast
uk9.jpg