You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Memphis, Norway? I think not.

Robert Ogden 985378

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

I have been logged onto Memphis Ground (KMEM) for several hours now using VRC. I'm using the same POF and Sector file as always. However, for some reason, my Controller List includes ENBD_CTR and ENBD_C_CTR. Also, I receive any text sent by these positions on the ATC channel as though they were in a neighboring ARTCC (like I would expect from ATL_CTR or IND_CTR).

At first I thought that ENBD_CTR had some screwed up setting or something, but now that ENBD_C_CTR is also showing, I'm scratching my head and wondering if its not something wrong with a POF file or if perhaps I've just lost my mind.

Any ideas whats going on?

216.png

Deacon Barry 952424
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Robert,

The two reasons I can think of ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you are observing MEM) that you are seeing ENBD_CTR (which is Bodo Control in Norway) in your Controller List and seeing his ATC Channel messages are:

1 - You don't have the "POF Only" box 'clicked in' (for want of a better word). When you click the "POF Only" tab near the top of your Controller List, I believe this tells VRC to only display information for stations which are in your POF (Position File).

2 - Either you have your range set really high, or Bodo has his range set really high

Even so, a MEM controller seeing messages from Norway is somewhat odd

My apologies if neither of these solutions are of any use to you, if that is the case I'm sure Ross or someone else more knowledgable than myself knows the answer.

Regards,

Deacon

Edited by Guest

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

I have people from Brasil on mine from time to time (And I control in Canada).. not sure why it happens, but you're not alone.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

hi Robert, have you checked your POF file to see if it lists ENBD. open your POF file with notepad or word or something similar and you will see the text. You should be able to see if they are listed although it is rather unusual to have ATC which is situated at the otherend of the world from your position in the same POF. hehe

I hope you get it worked out.. Goodluck

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

my POF Only box was not activated, but that has never made a difference before. The USA can be full of ATC and I will only ever see the adjacent controllers on my list. During the time today when ENBD was on my list, his own TWR did not show up, nor did the rest of Europe. It was unique to those two positions.

I wasn't Observing either. I was logged in as Ground with a 10nm vis range

216.png

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

maybe the other controller had his visibility set in your area, using the .vis command.

Or he could have been obersving but forgot to change his callsign.

hehe who knows..

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Gunnar Seljeseth 883677
Posted
Posted

That sounds ineed very strange...

I will talk to the norwegian group of ATC's and see if they noticed anything unusual while they were on. I guess it happend today (November 15) based on the date of the postings, and the information about ENBD_CTR and ENBD_C_CTR being online at the same time, so I have a an idea of who it was that staffed thoose positions...

I'll be back with more information when I've got an answer from the group...

Stephen Naughton 924116
Posted
Posted

As far as I know, that can happen somtimes due to a server split, I remember being on one night and seing ATC messages that were sent out anywhere in the world.

Alexandre Geahel 932157
Posted
Posted

Been seeing LFFF_CTR and sometimes South American aswell .. I control in Lebanon :S

Karl Mathias Moberg
Posted
Posted

Hello sir!

It was I who was logged on as ENBD_CTR yesterday, and I think I perhaps has the answer.

We got a new .pof file in VACCSCA just over a week ago, ther might be an error there, ok, since I was covering an area of over 5-600nm I had used .vis 3 places, ENVA, ENBD, and ENTC so I could see the whole northern norway, with an visibility range set at 250nm... And since you saw ENBD_C_CTR who allso was online, I guess there is an error in the .pof file.....

Regards,

Karl Mathias Moberg

NckPTPXs.jpg

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
https://nyartcc.org
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

Gunnar Seljeseth 883677
Posted
Posted

I've now checked the POF file, and can't find any reason as to why ENBD should show up in the controller list at KMEM. Setting the visibility to 4000nm is not something easily done in either VRC or ASRC, either, so...

I think I'll head for the theory of server problems of some kind. At least temporarely...

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hiya,

a POF does not have anything to do with radio ranges. The distance between Memphis and Norway is several thousands of miles, while a CTR radio range is 400nm. I pretty sure that a server malfunction only can be the cause of this.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png