You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[question of rookie] Resources of how-to on text format of "File Flight Plan" in vPilot

Samuel Fischer

Samuel Fischer
Posted
Posted

Sorry for (maybe) a simple question, but I found nothing really helpful in pilot resource center of vatsim website. 

I saw a Youtube video  with Cessna C152 on an IFR trip from London City to Bristol, there was a step (around 10:40) the video maker file the IFR plan in vPilot windows, inputting something like "EGLC DCT BPK DCT ..."

Currently I start to learn to make my own flight plan (with Little Navmap) and prepare for my 1st trip in vatsim with FS2020, but I don't know the format (or the resource to learn that from) of this TEXT based flight plan.

As far as I guess, this stuff should be something like ATC communication phraseology, with a widely accepted format/standard something, right? 

Samuel Fischer
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

yes I saw that but this is an overview stuff which is not telling me what the entire codec is… e.g. the DCT means something like "direct to"? 

I might need to find out a entire codec like "how to decode metar and taf" which lists BLDU = blow dust, RETS = recent thunderstorm to make sure I understand how this is organized and can write one that can be read by the recipients. 

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Oh, I see.

"Skybrary" is an excellent resource for things like METAR decoding: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Meteorological_Terminal_Air_Report_(METAR)

IFR flight planning is a complex subject. An excellent starting point for you will be simBrief. It's free of charge (donations welcome) and it will take planning your flights to the next level. For the UK there are some standard routes available for certain city-pairs, you may want to stop by the website of VATSIM UK, they certainly got more information on this. Otherwise, don't forget to have a look at Skyvector, it's good to use for both VFR and IFR operations.

LittleNavMap is also an excellent program. For an IFR flight you basically need to find an appropriate Standard Instrument Departure (SID) from your airfield of departure (ADEP) and then connect the end-point of this SID via airways or IFR-waypoints to the first point of an appropriate Standard Arrival Route (STAR) at your ADES (airport of destination). Sometimes it can be really hard to find a valid route, so simBrief is often your best choice.

Otherwise also ask Auntie Google, maybe use terms like "IFR flight planning guide", or similar.

• Thanks 1

Samuel Fischer
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Oh, I see.

"Skybrary" is an excellent resource for things like METAR decoding: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Meteorological_Terminal_Air_Report_(METAR)

IFR flight planning is a complex subject. An excellent starting point for you will be simBrief. It's free of charge (donations welcome) and it will take planning your flights to the next level. For the UK there are some standard routes available for certain city-pairs, you may want to stop by the website of VATSIM UK, they certainly got more information on this. Otherwise, don't forget to have a look at Skyvector, it's good to use for both VFR and IFR operations.

LittleNavMap is also an excellent program. For an IFR flight you basically need to find an appropriate Standard Instrument Departure (SID) from your airfield of departure (ADEP) and then connect the end-point of this SID via airways or IFR-waypoints to the first point of an appropriate Standard Arrival Route (STAR) at your ADES (airport of destination). Sometimes it can be really hard to find a valid route, so simBrief is often your best choice.

Otherwise also ask Auntie Google, maybe use terms like "IFR flight planning guide", or similar.

Thank Andreas for the well organized answer! 

I'll start from the resources you mentioned in the 1st paragraph and try some luck. If not I'm gonna do the "EGMH DCT KVR DCT TUKVI LT LFAT" as remade version of FSX mission "flying blind across the channel" as my 1st try since this is simple enough for a new GA pilot, then find out more to learn.