You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie With a Question

Christophr Sebastian

Christophr Sebastian
Posted
Posted

Hi all

I have just started flying online and I would like to start flying with a 727 My problem is my aircraft isn’t Sid and Star capable is there a way for me to fly on the network and to file my plans as they were done back “in the day” ie the 80s and by that I mean flying from VOR to VOR on a jet route?

Thanks.

My Airplane Fly J Sim 727 100/200

My Sim X-plane 11

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It very much *is* SID and STAR capable -- just not RNAV SIDs and STARs.  Filing with the appropriate equipment code (/W) should tell controllers you're non-RNAV, but in my experience you should be prepared to remind them occasionally.

There is a growing number of airports that don't have any non-RNAV SIDs or STARs, so you just file a route starting at the closest VOR and/or ending at the closest VOR or intersection, and APP/DEP will figure out how to get you in and out of the terminal area(s). 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

First off, welcome to the forums. As a Newbie may I give some friendly advice (and I do mean friendly I am not having a go at you or anything🙂). When posting please try and use a topic that represents your problem or query. In this particular case a topic heading like "Do I need Stars and SIDs to fly on the network" or the like would be better. The reason for this is so that a member in future with the same query will find it easier to locate an answer by searching the forum topics which should always be first course of action.😉Cheers Dan

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

As a general rule: don't file or accept anything you're not comfortable flying.

If your aircraft doesn't have RNAV equipment, file a flight plan with an appropriate equipment code, file a route that doesn't require RNAV, and, just to be sure, put "NON-RNAV" or something like that in your remarks section.

Your aircraft *can* fly SIDs and STARs (just not RNAV ones), as already stated, but if YOU are uncomfortable flying them with this aircraft, then don't file any SID or STAR, and put "NO SID/STAR" in your remarks.

And then when you're flying, the magic words are "unable" and "request vectors". Worst case you'll be asked to hold or divert, but the general policy is to accommodate if at all possible. Remember, you're the PIC, it's your responsibility to fly the aircraft and judge what is possible and safe and what is not. It's no different from saying "unable" when asked to climb faster than aircraft performance allows.

• Like 1
23.png