You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oceanic procedures for smaller aircrafts

Guillaume Hartenstein

Guillaume Hartenstein
Posted
Posted

Hello !

I've been flying the TBM930 of FS2020 around Europe on VATSIM, and I feel like it's time to try and cross the pond !

I was wondering about oceanic clearances, and more specifically the speed component. I do not have the Mach Number displayed in the cockpit, as I would not exceed about 320 KTAS at flight levels between 280 and 300, which corresponds to a ridiculous Mach Number (about .53/.54) compared to what you commonly see in an oceanic cleanrances...

But that raises the question as to what to ask for in the clearance. Should I request a True Airspeed ? Or compute an approximate Mach Number (that I would not be able to hold perfectly during the flight anyway...) ?

I wasn't able to find much documentation on the subject... The ICAO manual on North Atlantic Ops. suggest that Mach Number is not always necessary in clearances, but doesn't really explain when you can omit it...

If any pilot with this kind of experience or maybe an oceanic controller could give me some advice on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it !

Thanks for your help !

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

With a plane like this you will most probably NOT be entering the airspace that is using the Mach Number Technique. You will rather be flying via Scotland to Iceland, Greenland and then over to Goose Bay or similar: Skyvector Routing

For this you just fill in a regular flightplan.

Guillaume Hartenstein
Posted
Posted

That is indeed the kind of route I had in mind. But unless I am mistaken, it crosses a few airspaces that require Oceanic Clearances... And the guides to Iceland and Greenland published by the Scandinavian vACC seems to indicate that they do use the Mach Number technique.

I don't think it will be a problem with Reykjavik as, even though they do require Oceanic Clearance, it is a radar position, so I believe they would accept my request.

My concern was more with Gander, which I would go through between Greenland and Canada... I am not sure why you suggest I wouldn't need oceanic clearance for this ?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

On this routing you will be staying in VHF radio contact and when below FL280 you are not bound to any of the HLA-procedures.

Yes, you need Oceanic Clearance, but you do NOT need to stick to the Mach Number Technique. These are 2 different pairs of shoes.

• Like 1

Guillaume Hartenstein
Posted
Posted

Ok I see ! The information I was missing was the fact that HLA started above FL280 then.
So I would request oceanic clearance without specifying any speed ?
And just to be sure, while in non-radar airspace, I would still have to do position reports by specifying time over Fix, estimate to next Fix and name the Fix thereafter, correct ?

Guillaume Hartenstein
Posted
Posted

Ok well, now to the flight planning then ! 
Thanks very much for your help !

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Similar route opposite direction btn Canada and Greenland, g.a. aircraft, FL220-230, and Andreas is correct.
Position reports outside radar environment.
VATSIM might operate the airspace similar to real world and as suggested, "they will let you know."

Nuuk (BGGH rwy 05), Kulusuk (BGKK):

Nuuk.JPG.0ae605464c603cad32ce41f615ef65d6.JPGKulusuk.JPG.fae87f1e490ad9366a639139468b3458.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Gander/Shanwick airspace is Class A above FL55. Instrument flight rules and an oceanic clearance is required if flying above this level, however if you're not sure what situation you are in, ask the controller 🙂.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo