You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Wx in FS9

Bob Klemm

Bob Klemm
Posted
Posted

I'm one of those still using FS9, on many flights, due to aircraft availability in other sims. Recently ASE stopped working, and I had to switch to FS Global Real Weather. That one is pretty good, except for depiction of winds aloft. I tried the VATSIM/Swift real weather, and found that every time it updates, winds drop by 50% or so, then build back up. This causes over-speed/under-speed conditions. It also causes barometric fluctuations. Is there a setting to eliminate those issues during updates, or a fix? 

Thanks.

Bob Klemm

David Franklin
Posted
Posted

Hey Bob,

I also still using FS9 kinda for the same reasons as you.  I also found out that ORD with it's MAJOR runway makeover there's no update available.  SO it's gonna be fun flying into there! As far as weather, it's getting to be a real stickler for us on FS9. I so see much on the horizon as far a fixes.  I was a squakbox buy until they stopped and had to go to SWIFT. Through their updates weather has been getting better.  If you go on discord, maybe you can get some answers questions there also.

David Franklin NBL4638G

Americas HUB - KDFW Dallas/Ft. Worth 

NobleSignature.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Bob Klemm said:

I had to switch to FS Global Real Weather. That one is pretty good, except for depiction of winds aloft.

Hi Bob,

really? Actually the winds aloft were always accurate when I used FSGRW with FS9 and X-Plane. Maybe some odd setting that needs to be changed? Possibly your key to success will be FSUIPC, you can regulate the maximum wind change by time, this should eliminate these extreme changes of winds.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Bob Klemm
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas,

I checked FSUIPC, and the settings are good.  There is no issue with that using any other weather generator. ASE worked, until I got the KernelBase.dll errors that won't allow it to start. And FS Global Real Weather works, but the winds aloft are way off from real world. I don't think FSGRW had this problem before - I just noticed it in the last week or so. When I do the flightplan mode,  it shows winds for waypoints that are nowhere near what the real world is showing.   I'll check it again, though.

Bob Klemm

Bob Klemm
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Okay, I have not used FSGRW since earlier this year, but never had trouble as described by you.

I just noticed that happening within the last two weeks or so.

Bob Klemm

Bob Klemm
Posted
Posted

Just heard back from Stefan t Pilot's, regarding FSGRW: He discovered NOAA had changed some links. He made the changes and all looks good again.  Meanwhile, I was still having the issue with Swift Wx when it was updating, with drastic wind velocity changes each time. But since FSGRW is fixed, that's a moot point. 😉

Bob Klemm