You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot no sound from Sound Blaster Audigy sound card

Stephen Pelly

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

I recently popped a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card into my PC, and installed the drivers. Strangely, I get no sound from vPilot, even though the card is working just fine for all other applications I've tested. Yes, in the vPilot settings I have changed the Output Device to "Speakers (Sound Blaster Audigy Fx)". Anybody else run into this problem, or have some useful tips on how to get it all working?

phil robertson
Posted
Posted

Hi Stephen , I’m assuming you had  audio in vpilot before you changed the sound cards? Or are u just setting up for the first time ? Also have u tried testing the mic to see if it is recognising an input. 

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

Hi Phil, yes absolutely. I was originally using the on board audio with my speakers and that worked fine in vPilot. I bought the sound blaster card for better sound quality and because the on board sound continuously emits a low buzzing noise through my speakers! I actually never tried the mic input on the sound blaster card funny enough (because when I couldn't hear audio on it I gave up and plugged in my Logitech USB headset right away). I've pulled the card out now and I'm back to using the on board sound, and my mic is from from my Logitech usb web cam. These are the two ways I usually operate: Either main speakers (now back to on board sound) and my webcam for a mic, or I plug in my Logitech headset.

Pity though, I would really like to use the SoundBlaster card and get rid of this buzzing!

phil robertson
Posted
Posted

Hi Stephen ,  I take it when you used the new card with the speakers in other apps the buzzing had disappeared? Buzzing in my experience tends to come from an external source I.e something in the room, a power transformer close to the speaker or dimmer switch for the lights a poor earth connection or faulty cable .might be worth trying to plug your speakers into a different power source temporarily just to eliminate that.

phil 

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

Hi Phil, yeah the buzzing disappeared when plugged into the Sound Blaster card. I'll try the different power source idea though, because I'm back on the motherboard's audio port, which causes the buzzing. I mean it's a very low buzzing, you have to listen very carefully to hear it (with nothing else playing of course). But now that I know it's there it really irritates me!