You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to deal with missing approach procedures from MSFS

Alexis Nethercleft

Alexis Nethercleft
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I've been simming for about 20 years but have only recently taken the plunge and joined Vatsim. I'm finding it hugely enjoyable but also a tad stressful, because I'm so used to the predictability of offline ATC add-ons that the workload when flying online is taking some getting used to! I've moved over wholesale from P3D to MSFS recently, and consequently from the FSLabs A320 to the A32NX. I've tried to go back because I miss the FSLabs buses a lot, but P3D looks and performs so much worse that I just can't enjoy it anymore.

Anyway, I was on a flight the other day from EKCH-EGLL and had filed the LOGAN 1H STAR. Just before my TOD, I began setting up for my expected arrival - 27R with the LAM transition. Unfortunately, the MCDU insisted on sending me from LAM-BIG, and then via a very rough approximation of the 10-2P initial approach from BIG routing. I tried to fix it, failed, and ended up disconnecting from Vatsim and landing without ATC because I just didn't know how to broach this with the controller.

I imagine, with MSFS (and Navigraph beta) navdata in the state it's in at the moment, I'll encounter this sort of thing quite often. Is there a way of handling it? Did I give up and quit too soon? Or is this the sort of situation where disconnecting is the only fair way forward?

Cheers,
Filbert

Paavo Ojala
Posted
Posted

Hi Filbert! 

Outside of events, not being able to fly a standard arrival procedure isn't going to stop you from flying in VATSIM. a lot of people are flying with outdated navdata and what not, meaning that they might not be able to fly the assinged STAR. Simply just inform the ATC that you won't be able to follow the arrival route and most of the time (almost everytime) you'll just get vectors. You don't need to explain why you can't fly the STAR since the controller doesn't really do anything with that information, just simple "XYZ is unable to fly the standard arrival procedure" will do the trick.

Hopefully you found this helpful

Paavo

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Also to note, most departure/arrival procedures are able to be flown with standard navigation.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Alexis Nethercleft
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Paavo Ojala said:

Simply just inform the ATC that you won't be able to follow the arrival route and most of the time (almost everytime) you'll just get vectors.

That's really good to know. 

8 hours ago, Nicholas Cavacini said:

Also to note, most departure/arrival procedures are able to be flown with standard navigation.

This is true. I think I would have done that with most procedures, but I decided the S curves between LAM and the ILS were beyond me without some kind of lateral guidance!.

Very helpful replies, both of you. Thanks for your time.

All the best,
Filbert