You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oceanic clearance quick question.

David Cross

David Cross
Posted
Posted

So with this Flight plan from KBOS to EGLL using the Concorde. Which Waypoint would be the "entrance" to the Oceanic clearance?

Here is the Flight plan, I used. 

LBSTA6 LBSTA SCUPP  4246N06500W 4307N06000W 4510N05230W 4554N05000W 4810N04000W 4926N03000W 4949N02000W 4941N01500W  LULOX  ASRAX  ABDUK  NUMPO  NIGIT  OCK  

SCUPP is to close to the Boston area, so I assume this would not be the fix I would use for the "entrance". ( Calling GANDER Oceanic. ) 

Should I use a different WP, or should I add another WP to this flight plan? I understand the Lat and Long coords. and how to do the position reports, it's just the initial. And I want to be as ready as I can be for the upcoming CTP West Bound. 

2nd question. I assume I would contact GANDER Oceanic. for the initial clr, or would it be GANDER Domestic? .

Thanks. 

Dave. 

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, David Cross said:

So with this Flight plan from KBOS to EGLL using the Concorde. Which Waypoint would be the "entrance" to the Oceanic clearance?

Here is the Flight plan, I used. 

LBSTA6 LBSTA SCUPP  4246N06500W 4307N06000W 4510N05230W 4554N05000W 4810N04000W 4926N03000W 4949N02000W 4941N01500W  LULOX  ASRAX  ABDUK  NUMPO  NIGIT  OCK  

SCUPP is to close to the Boston area, so I assume this would not be the fix I would use for the "entrance". ( Calling GANDER Oceanic. ) 

Should I use a different WP, or should I add another WP to this flight plan? I understand the Lat and Long coords. and how to do the position reports, it's just the initial. And I want to be as ready as I can be for the upcoming CTP West Bound. 

2nd question. I assume I would contact GANDER Oceanic. for the initial clr, or would it be GANDER Domestic? .

Thanks. 

Dave. 

There is no oceanic 'entry point' in your flight plan. Entry points are a defined (usually named) set of waypoints on or close to the border between Domestic and the NAT HLA (North Atlantic High Level Airspace). One thing to keep in mind is that Concorde flight generally uses the legacy SM, SN and SO routes.

For your question about oceanic clearance, if an oceanic controller is online, contact the oceanic controller, not domestic for clearance. Make sure you return to the domestic frequency however after getting your clearance, even if the controller doesn't specify.

Another thing to keep in mind, special routes are issued for CTP, so it is likely you will not fly the route that you posted above.

If you would like to read up on some more information, we have a knowledge base that includes a section on Concorde routes 🙂.
https://knowledgebase.ganderoceanic.com/

Cheers,

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

David Cross
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Andrew Ogden said:

Another thing to keep in mind, special routes are issued for CTP, so it is likely you will not fly the route that you posted above.

Just to clarify. I will read the concord section. But are you saying for the CTP event that Concords will be assigned a special routing which would require flying with "the pack". I don't think there would be enough fuel to fly it at lower altitudes and at normal speeds such as a dreamliner. If that is the case what do you guys do with  Concords?  Are they pretty much obsolete for CTP?. Should i plan to do the CTP with a regular airliner?  or will Concords have special routing to allow for the supersonic flight?.

Thank you.

Dave.

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, David Cross said:

Just to clarify. I will read the concord section. But are you saying for the CTP event that Concords will be assigned a special routing which would require flying with "the pack". I don't think there would be enough fuel to fly it at lower altitudes and at normal speeds such as a dreamliner. If that is the case what do you guys do with  Concords?  Are they pretty much obsolete for CTP?. Should i plan to do the CTP with a regular airliner?  or will Concords have special routing to allow for the supersonic flight?.

Thank you.

Dave.

Of course you can fly a concorde if you like, however keep in mind that ATC will handle you differently. It requires a different separation minima between other traffic and as you're going to be flying high, listen carefully to ATC. It is possible though, although it might be better if someone who has flown a Concorde during CTP before chimes in here in case I have said something incorrect (I have not had the experience) 🙂.

Edited by Andrew Ogden

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If you plan to fly a Concorde during CTP, you will NOT need to book a slot.  Those slots are designed to meter the traffic into the North Atlantic Tracks.  Concorde will fly 10,000+ feet above, and 2.5 times as fast as, traffic in those tracks -- so the slot booking for a Concorde serves no purpose.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Cross
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Andrew Ogden said:
12 hours ago, David Cross said:

Of course you can fly a concorde if you like,

Thank you for answering my questions. : ) I get a better customer service experience with volunteers like you, than i do with payware developers lol.

8 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

If you plan to fly a Concorde during CTP, you will NOT need to book a slot.

That too is good to know.  Makes sence and allows for others to have a slot. Thank you. So i guess I'll just file the historical Concorde track and see what happens on the day of. I'll monitor this thread. Maybe someone who has done this can let me / us know what their previous experiences were like.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2020 at 12:04 AM, Andrew Ogden said:

It is possible though, although it might be better if someone who has flown a Concorde during CTP before chimes in here in case I have said something incorrect (I have not had the experience) 🙂.

Sounds like you pretty much got it wrapped up there to me. 💁‍♀️

• Confused 1

rocksalot.png

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
On 10/18/2020 at 9:43 PM, David Cross said:

If that is the case what do you guys do with  Concords?  Are they pretty much obsolete for CTP?

It's not obsolete for anything for me. There's absolutely no reason why it would be. 🏇  Furthermore, I pretty much do whatever I want with my Concorde.

• Haha 1

rocksalot.png