You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Bug with secondary display on monitor with different resolution

Bradley Fishman

Bradley Fishman
Posted
Posted

I have two monitors (one 1440p, another 1080p, vertically mounted so the 1080 is above the 1440, with the 1440p monitor being my primary display).

I have an issue where if I place a secondary display on my 1080p monitor, the next time I start ERAM, it hangs on the "checking version" step and becomes unresponsive. I have a similar issue in vSTARS with ASDE-X displays on the other monitor.

When inspecting the config XML file, I noticed the Y-coordinate of the secondary display is a negative number (which shouldn't be an issue), and I am able to fix it by changing the Y-coordinate to 0 manually in the file and can then start vSTARS/vERAM normally. If I relocate the display to my main 1440p monitor prior to quitting (and the config file automatically saving) the issue is prevented. 

Anyone else have two different res monitors with a similar issue?

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Similar issue to report, slightly different circumstances. I'm running three displays off of an MSI notebook (two are via the graphics card and one on a USB external graphics card). I've been attempting to get my EIZO 27" 1920x1920 monitor to run off the external graphics card as I can run it at a refresh rate of 60hz compared to 30hz. Was able to get vERAM and vSTARS to initially startup on it, but same hangup would occur on future restarts (running primary scope on the square monitor and a couple of secondary displays on another monitor 1920x1080 resolution). I gave up and moved the square back onto my laptop graphics card and put a secondary display on the external graphics card without issue. Sounds exactly like the problem I was having though, just slightly different situation.

Picture for reference, so the monitor on the right is now running off of the external graphics card without issue starting vERAM or vSTARS now:

newdesk.jpg

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Bradley Fishman
Posted
Posted

AJ, since I don’t think this will get fixed any time soon I wrote a Python script for vERAM and vSTARS (and actually Vatspy too since it has a similar issue) that repairs the corrupted config files so you don’t have to go in and edit it manually every time. Yes, that means you have to relocate the windows every single time you open the program, but it’s a somewhat okay bandaid for the problem. Not sure if this is helpful in your situation but let me know if you’d like me to send them your way. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Bradley Fishman said:

repairs the corrupted config files

I don't think this is an issue of "corrupted" config files. It's an issue where the app won't start up if the display is located on a secondary monitor.

Another user was having the same issue with vERAM, and I was troubleshooting it with him on discord, but we were unable to resolve it. He ended up doing a fresh install of Windows, and that fixed it. (He was planning on doing the fresh install anyway.) So I suspect it's a video driver issue, but I can't say for sure.

Since this issue is also happening with VAT-Spy and vSTARS, I suspect it has something to do with OpenGL rendering contexts on secondary displays. All three of those apps use OpenGL to render the display.

What I would like to do is to work with one of you directly via Discord to see if I can figure out what's happening. I would send you different builds of vERAM or VAT-Spy with small changes, to see what works. If one or both of you are up to it, please let me know and we'll get connected via the VATSIM public discord.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

I'll be in touch next week, will have to swap the square monitor onto the external card again, would definitely be better to have it running at 60hz if I can get it to work with ERAM and STARS.

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Bradley Fishman
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I don't think this is an issue of "corrupted" config files. It's an issue where the app won't start up if the display is located on a secondary monitor.

Another user was having the same issue with vERAM, and I was troubleshooting it with him on discord, but we were unable to resolve it. He ended up doing a fresh install of Windows, and that fixed it. (He was planning on doing the fresh install anyway.) So I suspect it's a video driver issue, but I can't say for sure.

Since this issue is also happening with VAT-Spy and vSTARS, I suspect it has something to do with OpenGL rendering contexts on secondary displays. All three of those apps use OpenGL to render the display.

What I would like to do is to work with one of you directly via Discord to see if I can figure out what's happening. I would send you different builds of vERAM or VAT-Spy with small changes, to see what works. If one or both of you are up to it, please let me know and we'll get connected via the VATSIM public discord.

Happy to help you out, as it would also be helping me too 🙂

Edited by Bradley Fishman

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Bradley Fishman said:

Happy to help you out, as it would also be helping me too 🙂

Thanks, I sent you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

I've decided against moving my EIZO monitor onto the external graphics card, there are other issues with other programs I run that is not making that an appetizing switch to make. Just going to wait until I build a new computer to get that monitor back on a 60hz refresh rate. Thanks for the information Brad and Ross, however. Just wanted to provide an update.

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

I could help too, I'm using a 55 inch TV as mine right now

• 2 months later...
Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted (edited)

I finally moved over to my new PC build and was able to get my 1:1 aspect ration monitor to 60hz refresh rate on the main PC GPU (no longer using an external GPU for any monitors). I am still running into ERAM freezing up if the window is even slightly off-screen, the entire program locks up on initialization of the video map I wish to load. I'd be willing to revisit investigating this at some point with you, Ross, if we can do that.

Regards,

AJ

Edited by Andrew Doubleday

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

So just to echo Brad's original post here. I have the exact same issue. Running 4 displays hooked up to the GPU, if a secondary display is on a monitor outside of the primary monitor, it will hang and be unable to load into the desired ERAM profile/video maps. Doesn't matter what configuration I have the monitors in, does it on every profile unless everything is all on the primary display prior to exiting and restarting ERAM.

• 1 month later...
Ike Callaway
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, Bradley Fishman said:

AJ, since I don’t think this will get fixed any time soon I wrote a Python script for vERAM and vSTARS (and actually Vatspy too since it has a similar issue) that repairs the corrupted config files so you don’t have to go in and edit it manually every time. Yes, that means you have to relocate the windows every single time you open the program, but it’s a somewhat okay bandaid for the problem. Not sure if this is helpful in your situation but let me know if you’d like me to send them your way. 

Can you share this script? I have a similar issue, curiously only with vERAM

logo2.png.90a40c2564324860397e893f65cf8c08.png

Controller 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ike Callaway said:

Can you share this script? I have a similar issue, curiously only with vERAM

Did you see this fix that worked for almost everyone having this issue?