You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The Mexico Division's Megathread

Gustavo Valdez

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Vatsys Team,

Instead of flooding you with posts, I'm starting a Megathread for are feature requests and bug reports.

Feature Requests:

1.- Reverse Course/Heading on Bearing and Range

As seen in the real radar (at least TopSky) it'd be awesome to have reverse course to a position from an anchor. Attaching image for reference. The real one also does correction for the magnetic variation but I don't know how feasible that is.

image.png.fe82320b7b034f7e724fb9a180e7a414.png                image.png

2.- Easy color variations and switching

In our real ATC displays the controllers have 3 posible colors choices (Shown 2 for reference) and we have modeled all 3 but right now it's a little bit tedious and error prone to change between them (I have 3 files that the user have to "turn on or off", ex. colours.med.xml -> colours.xml. Is there a way to make it easier (even requiring restart) to change the profile?

image.png.5f9d20ad4377a81efeabfa1f2b6316b7.png

Edited by Gustavo Valdez

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

1. Its not hard for me to add a BRL format option. Watch this space. 

The display may be rotated to magnetic north by defining a MagneticVariation attribute in the Position definition. This will cause BRLs to read magnetic. Note Australia uses the same version of Eurocat you have pictured - and magnetic north is only used for TMA positions with a small enough range that the variation change across the screen is negligible. 

2. I think the best solution for you is to maintain multiple profiles. There is already a selection screen and mechanism in place to deal with that. I suspect this is probably closer to the real life situation where different centres and TMA units use different colours (ie. there is no individual controller colour change ability in Eurocat)

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Gustavo Valdez
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jake Saw said:

The display may be rotated to magnetic north by defining a MagneticVariation attribute in the Position definition. This will cause BRLs to read magnetic. Note Australia uses the same version of Eurocat you have pictured - and magnetic north is only used for TMA positions with a small enough range that the variation change across the screen is negligible. 

Great! About the magnetic variation just wanted to make a note, I'm doing that for TMA positions as you mention but. if you look at the second screenshot the BRL is reading 084/266 instead of 084/264 because it's correcting for the magnetic variation for the two points, tbh i'm not sure how that works.

13 minutes ago, Jake Saw said:

2. I'll stick to that for now, my worry is that maintaining changes across different variants just for the color is gonna get a little messy, plus I'd like it to get add to the default install if possible and that makes it hard with 3 different versions.

Gustavo Valdez
ATC Ops Director
VATMEX Division
[email protected]

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

1. That is odd that the reciprocal bearing is different. vatSys will continue providing the great circle bearing with respect to displayed north (true or magnetic) and I'll add the format option for you.

2. I don't mind having 2 or 3 Mexican profiles ship with vatSys - the profiles themselves are not included with the installer, instead vatSys downloads them the first time they are loaded. You could either separate the units that use different colours into their own profiles, or duplicate the whole airspace (you could easily script this to automate) with the only difference being colours. 

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Add this to Misc.xml

<BRL LabelType="Extended" />

🙂

Jake

Developer - vatSys