You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Europe Airspace Altitudes

Stefan Enzmann

Stefan Enzmann
Posted
Posted

HI Friends

I am new  to Europe and I can't find information in regards to Airspace altitudes;

i was trying to do a flight out of munich and EDDM was uncontrolled, but EDMM had CTR controlled, so i tried to make contact on airborne, but was told by ATC on 133.225 for EDDM CTR that i was not in his airspace....

could somebody point out where i find the information on what Airspace starts at what altitudes.... much appreciated

cheers

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In simple words: the airspace of EDMM consists of several sectors and not all of them do cover the area of EDDM/Munich airport. For German airports you can search for the airport in question at https://vatsim-germany.org/pilots/aerodromes and then scroll down to find out about the CTR-stations that are responsible for this airport. If you are not sure, call up the ATC anyway and they will let you know whether you'll need to depart on UNICOM or if they are going to provide you with service. As CTR also controls airspace "top down" during the absence of local services such as APP, TWR, GND and DEL, you better find out before making your first movement on the ground.

• Like 1

Stefan Enzmann
Posted
Posted

Danke Andreas that is helpful. I get it now.

have you ever seen a visual depiction of those airspaces with Vatsim ?

Vatspy, Vattastic etc, only show the general area, that's why i was confused!

fly safe!!

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
  • Thanks 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

EDMM have revised their sectorization this year, but there's no updated airspace data available for Vatspy or Qutescoop yet, still waiting for those guys to create and upload it. Until then they will have to live with pilots calling up to find out about their status.

11 hours ago, Stefan Enzmann said:

have you ever seen a visual depiction of those airspaces with Vatsim ?

Vatspy, Vattastic etc, only show the general area, that's why i was confused!

I personally use Qutescoop and as mentioned above it still contains the depiction for slightly outdated sectors of Munich.

• Thanks 1

Michael Krause
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas,

I just put a reminder into our internal forum and there was an immediate "oh, yes he is still waiting..." - so expect "2 weeks"... 😉

Cheers
Micha

• Thanks 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, Michael Krause said:

I just put a reminder into our internal forum and there was an immediate "oh, yes he is still waiting..." - so expect "2 weeks"

The sector data has been released in the meantime, great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Stefan Enzmann
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, need more help on this.....plz!!!

I have come across a situation where VATspy shows EDYY_R_CTR overlaying europe airspace and showing f.e. EBBU above FL 245.

however I am trying to contact EDYY_R and am told i am not in the airspace. I really tried to research, but cannot find the boundaries of EDYY_R.

I am only confused because a} limited brain and b} it shows on Vatspy over all of europe. Even searching Eurocontrol did not show any info.

I am using simbrief, skyvector, vpilot, vattastic and vatspy....and the unreliable autopilot build by asobo....

as always thankful for any hint towards a learning experience.....cheers

Stefan

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

EDYY_R_CTR - one of many Maastricht sectors - covers the Western part of Germany - namely Rheinland. That's what the letter 'R' stands for.

If you are over Belgian airspace, we are not allowed to offer you ATC service there.

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Stefan Enzmann
Posted
Posted

thank you Tim, however my question is.... where do i find the information regarding the airspace/ sector  boundaries when I am offline or better online, and you are online, if vatspy shows EDYY_R_CTR over Belgium. and i was taking off from EDDK for that flight, so if i would have climbed within Langen radar to FL 240, then i would have been handed to you? where would i find a map for this? thank you

Stefan Enzmann
Posted
Posted

Chriss!! You da Man, thank you!!! that is exactly what i was looking for... couldnt find it.....thank you!!!

• Like 1

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

I can recommend you to use QUTESCOOP instead. It will show you the correct sectors.

https://github.com/qutescoop/qutescoop

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png