You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie How To Start Question - 737 Only

Chuck Steinmetz

Chuck Steinmetz
Posted
Posted

I have built out a 737 sim and have been using P2ATC to get the sense of what ATC is all about - looking to get going on VATSIM.  First, I should note somebody has put a lot of time into upgrading the site and procedures, because I went down this road a few years ago and I find things much easier to navigate and understand.  I've signed up at VATSTAR and am starting the process - I'm also reading documents here - it appears that much of the first round of testing/certification process takes place w/ a fixed wing/smaller plane.  I only have access to the 737-800 as that's what I've built out (I use Simavionics w/ Flight Deck Solution equipment).  This could be a very dumb question, but do I need to let folks know prior to lessons and/or qualifying.  Thanks.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Hi, Chuck!

The Pilot Rating system is completely voluntary; you do not need to complete those exams in order to fly on the VATSIM network. 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Jonas Helkey
Posted
Posted

To add to that, while the ratings are certainly a nice-to-have and you'll surely learn a lot in achieving them, it is perfectly acceptable to just "learn by doing" on VATSIM. I'm sure that if you have a built out simulator at home, you'd be familiar with enough of the basics to dive in. Can't say anything about VATSTAR and the likes as I'm unfamiliar, that's just something I wanted to throw out there.

Chuck Steinmetz
Posted
Posted

I don't know where I got this from, but thank you for the updates - when I go back and read the site it doesn't say that P1-x is a requirement.  I do note that you list some minimum requirements and I'm gong to brush up on my TOGA and programming a hold w/ the CDU.   Thank you again.