You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Workaround for MSFS2020 to vPilot communication issue found

Quinten Bowman

Quinten Bowman
Posted
Posted

Several people have reported issues in MSFS communicating via vPilot. I have been able to pin one of the bugs down (surprise, the bug is in MSFS!), replicate it consistently, and found a workaround. So far, I've only been able to do this on the A320NX, though I suspect it works the same in the default A320 shipped with the sim.

First, by way of apology, I found this when I lost contact with ATC while on approach to KPDX. I apologize to everyone for that. I think I was gone for about 4 minutes, there was other traffic in the area, and it was not safe. But as you'll read below, I didn't know I was offline, as MSFS was lying to me. Mea culpa, and I'll learn for next time. Thank you to all those who helped me out, making sure I was in contact.

It seems that, if you manually push the NAV mode on your radio (for example, to make sure you're on the correct ILS freq), then push NAV again to return to VHF freqs, three things happen, and two of them are bad. First, MSFS shows you your VHS freq, as expected. Second, your transponder will reset to 1200. Third, vPilot will switch over to the MSFS default 124.850. This results in MSFS showing you as transmitting on a frequency that you aren't actually transmitting on in vPilot. This is how I lost Portland approach at a critical time.

The solution is kludgy, but at least it works and is simple. You'll have to manually reset your transponder. But you also have to flip your comms to the standby and back to active. This seems to update vPilot.

Hopefully this will help someone else out there having the same problem.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

[moved to vPilot support]

Yes, I have encountered the same thing, albeit this is most likely an MSFS issue and not a vPilot issue, and has something to do with the way the simulator handles frequencies.

Hopefully there will be an fix to these types of communication issues in the future.. 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new