You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Datafeed URLs

Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there devs!

As you may have seen in the last tech blog post, the v1 data files will be removed on the 31st March 2021

This means that you will need to update your applications to use the new data format.

As with the old datafiles, we request that you do NOT hardcode the datafile URLs, and instead download the file available at https://status.vatsim.net/status.json once when your application starts and then select one of the URLs available randomly each time you make a request. Even if we currently do load balancing server-side and therefore only one URL is available, this does not mean it will always stay like this. Doing it the correct way will also prevent your application from breaking if we change these URLs in the future.

All the best,
VATSIM Tech Team.

Edited by Jordan Jolenaar
Wording
  • Like 2

Me.

• 3 weeks later...
Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Hi Néstor,

According to the Q4 Tech Blog, the 'JSON-URL' will become: https://data.vatsim.net/v3/vatsim-data.json 

Is it OK to hard-code this URL in applications, or do we still need to parse the status URL, as per your message above?

If so, would it be possible to replace/add the status information in a JSON format, instead of a text file? Parsing a text file seems a bit outdated 🙂

Kind regards,

Martijn

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Feel free to hardcode that one. We now do load-balancing server side. My recommendation would be to keep a constant with the (sub)domain and another with the version your code uses in case any changes are to be done in the future, but that depends on each person's coding choices 😉

EDIT: Also, just to be sure, I recommend that you allow it to follow redirects. Usually when we make changes to the URLs we put redirects in place for some time so people have time to switch.

EDIT2: Actually, I stand corrected! In the status file you can now find a field named "json3"; please use that for the JSON v3 file and DO NOT HARDCODE IT 😂

Regarding the status JSON file: We're looking into it!

• Like 1

Me.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

I've updated the original message to contain all of the latest information regarding implementation.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Me.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Since I've got to hard-code a URL anyways, is there any chance you could just create something called data.vatsim.net/data and have it send back a 301 or 302 to the actual location? I'm not sure of the advantages of writing our own redirect logic when the HTTP spec and libraries should do it for you, unless there's something I'm missing. (How do they handle 3xx with HTTPS?)

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 2

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

• 1 year later...
Stephen Odgaard
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, Nestor Perez said:

As with the old datafiles, we request that you do NOT hardcode the datafile URLs, and instead download the file available at https://status.vatsim.net/status.json once when your application starts and then select one of the URLs available randomly each time you make a request. Even if we currently do lssload balancing server-side and therefore only one URL is available, this does not mean it will always stay like this. Doing it the correct way will also prevent your application from breaking if we change these URLs in the future.

What HTTPS: protocol is used? Using Indy 10.6.0.5040 and sslvTLSv1 seems not to work as getting the following response:

image.png.3acd72588ebd2c8110106949b8c5ee80.png

If I adress the HTTP: version - same URL otherwise, works fine, but thats not the intention I guess. Google mostly indicate that this handshake failure is a serverside issue...How do I surcomvene this issue?

/Stephen

Edited by Stephen Odgaard
clarification

BR

Stephen Slot Odgaard
VATSCA C3 Member since 2004

P3D v 5: Jeehell A320, Skalarki...
MSFS w FlyByWire A320 mod, VR Reverb G2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

According to ssllabs.com, status.vatsim.net supports TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 only.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Stephen Odgaard
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

According to ssllabs.com, status.vatsim.net supports TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 only.

Thanks Ross. I need to investigate. The Indy library does not seem compatible with 1.2 and 1.3...

/Stephen

BR

Stephen Slot Odgaard
VATSCA C3 Member since 2004

P3D v 5: Jeehell A320, Skalarki...
MSFS w FlyByWire A320 mod, VR Reverb G2

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Stephen Odgaard said:

Thanks Ross. I need to investigate. The Indy library does not seem compatible with 1.2 and 1.3...

TLS v1.1 and before have been deprecated for 2 years now - probably want a modern library.

Cheers

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.