You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie - help!

Jason Metcalfe

Jason Metcalfe
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's almost certainly me that's the problem here but I can't get the audio to work, only text - I only want to lurk while I familiarise myself with Vatsim - see below  - I get the static click from ATC when they're speaking but nothing else 

Screenshot (92).png

Edited by Jason Metcalfe

Adam McDowall 1275291
Posted
Posted (edited)

So you're trying to listen to Gatwick ground,

Possibly a stupid question - but are you within range of the controller, on the ground at Gatwick for example?

Edit: have you also tried any other frequencies/tried to obtain an ATIS? just to check it's not just that controller?

Edited by Adam McDowall 1275291
Further Info
  • Like 1

Jason Metcalfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Adam McDowall 1275291 said:

So you're trying to listen to Gatwick ground,

Possibly a stupid question - but are you within range of the controller, on the ground at Gatwick for example?

Edit: have you also tried any other frequencies/tried to obtain an ATIS? just to check it's not just that controller?

Thanks for the reply

Yeah I was at Gatwick - I've reloaded everything - unplugged my headset then reinstalled everything and plugged the headset back in and it seems to be working fine now

Just waiting to take my first tentative steps into the terrifying world of Vatsim now 😀

Adam McDowall 1275291
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jason Metcalfe said:

Thanks for the reply

Yeah I was at Gatwick - I've reloaded everything - unplugged my headset then reinstalled everything and plugged the headset back in and it seems to be working fine now

Just waiting to take my first tentative steps into the terrifying world of Vatsim now 😀

i posted this to another 'newbie', as a newbie before... i know you're using MSFS2020 not XP11, however i'm not sure of the capabilities of the FMC's on the default aircraft. i surmise that they'll let you fly certain SIDS/stars and also let you edit the routing, for Direct routing given by ATC, however take a read, it may help you in some way!

2 hours ago, Adam McDowall 1275291 said:

Hello Patrik from one newbie to another! 

I totally understand your concerns, i was concerned too my first flight, which was only this week... 7 years after creating my account. 

My biggest advice as its so fresh in my memory.. pick an aircraft which you know like the back of your hand. you know where each switch is and what it does.The Zibo Mod for example is as complex or as easy as you wish for it to be.

There are some excellent guides out there on how to effectively control it, if you're not experienced already, however the FMC within the mod is simple to program and use so you shouldn't have a problem.

I found my feet by watching a well known 737 pilot stream on YouTube!(not sure if i'm allowed to name drop here). He does all* of his live streams on vatsim, so you can see what he is doing with the Mod whilst also listening to the ATC command which has made him take this action. Just be sure to try to get an update AIRAC Cycle to avoid the awkwardness i faced when a controller asked me to fly an arrival which wasn't in my FMC!...

The steps i took for my first flight was to find an airport which had an approach controller but no sector control, this meant as little frequency changes as possible. I then loaded up my sim, asked for my clearance and read it back wrong 3 times! I told the controller it was my first flight and he gave me the clearance in 3 chunks, let me set my departure, then confirmed my squawk and then finally gave me the QNH/ATIS advice. Really, Kudos to him! and his region(I've given feedback!) 

Maybe i touched lucky, and got a nice controller, but if you're in an airport which has next to no traffic, you'll probably find the controller is more than happy to help you. they're not big and scary unless you're maxing out their controlling and messing up their sector!

Best of luck, Patrik, i'm sure you'll be chatting like a pro in no time! Just remember a pen and paper.

See you in the virtual sky's, 

Adam McDowall.

• Like 1

Jason Metcalfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Adam McDowall 1275291 said:

i posted this to another 'newbie', as a newbie before... i know you're using MSFS2020 not XP11, however i'm not sure of the capabilities of the FMC's on the default aircraft. i surmise that they'll let you fly certain SIDS/stars and also let you edit the routing, for Direct routing given by ATC, however take a read, it may help you in some way!

Thanks for that.

I've just created my account on Vatsim and I'm completely new to flight sims - hopefully I'll be confident enough within a few weeks/months to give it a try

I'm using the default TBM 930 on MSFS2020 and I love it - the FMC is pretty easy to use but I'm still soooo slow 😂

Most importantly I'm loving the experience and learning a new skill at 53 years old is  a very enjoyable challenge - so much so that I'm getting a couple of flying lessons as a present for Christmas