You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SELCAL sounds vPilot

Hongye Rudi Zhang

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross,

Is it possible to add real SELCAL sounds to vPilot instead of "ding dong", such as the FSINN or swift? This can sound more real

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

In real aircraft, at least the ones I am aware of, you don't hear the actual SELCAL tones unless you happen to have the volume turned up on your HF radio. Instead, you hear a notification tone that tells you that your HF radio has detected the SELCAL tones for your specific aircraft. What the pilot hears is the same from one aircraft to the next. Just like how your text message notification tone on your phone sounds the same no matter who is texting you.

That's why vPilot just plays a generic tone for SELCAL.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

In real aircraft, at least the ones I am aware of, you don't hear the actual SELCAL tones unless you happen to have the volume turned up on your HF radio. Instead, you hear a notification tone that tells you that your HF radio has detected the SELCAL tones for your specific aircraft. What the pilot hears is the same from one aircraft to the next. Just like how your text message notification tone on your phone sounds the same no matter who is texting you.

That's why vPilot just plays a generic tone for SELCAL.

yeah you are right. The aircraft will recognize the sound and give a prompt. Maybe it's a good idea that vpilot will display a prompt window when receiving SELCAL?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Hongye Zhang said:

yeah you are right. The aircraft will recognize the sound and give a prompt. Maybe it's a good idea that vpilot will display a prompt window when receiving SELCAL?

Personally speaking, I don't think that's necessary. You can enable the option to have vPilot flash its icon in the Task Bar when a SELCAL message is received. That, plus the audible tone, plus the text in the messages window should be sufficient.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
Just now, Ross Carlson said:

Personally speaking, I don't think that's necessary. You can enable the option to have vPilot flash its icon in the Task Bar when a SELCAL message is received. That, plus the audible tone, plus the text in the messages window should be sufficient.

ok I see, because It is the same as the normal PMDG cabin sound, I don't even know it is SELCAL call. 

• 1 year later...
Maxwell Wynne-Shepherd
Posted
Posted

If you use Windows, search vPilot in the search Menu, then click "Open File Location" then again press "Open File Location" and you should see 'Your Name'/AppData/Local/vPilot. Click on "Sounds" and edit the SELCAL sound at the bottom.