You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VAT-spy feature request: customize mouse button controls

Shawn Cresante

Shawn Cresante
Posted
Posted

It would be very nice if possible to have the option to switch the functionality of mouse buttons.

I always make the mistake of expecting Mouse 1 to move the map, I would much rather have mouse2 control zoom, and mouse1 control pan.

David Lambert
Posted
Posted

I too make the mistake of clicking and holding the left mouse button to move the map extremely frequently, so being able to re-assign or even disable the left mouse button zoom functionality would be quite a time saver for me. Unfortunately, just about every other software I'm in regular contact with uses LMB for drag and RMB for zoom and object selection functionality.

Obviously this is something that is a very personal requirement, and I confess, only asked for because, no matter how many times I try to rewire my brain I end up zooming in to an area instead of dragging to locate the area of my destination. The coding behind adding a preferences menu is by its nature potentially a big task, depending on how the code is structured, so I'm adding my voice to Shawn's request to let you know that you would be keeping at least two people happy by adding this as a possible future feature.

Thanks for VatSpy. I am a frequent user and appreciate it as it is too 🙂

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I've added it to the wish list.

The reason I chose the RMB for panning is because that's how most (if not all) VATSIM ATC clients pan the radar scope. And after that choice was made, then obviously the LMB was the right choice for drawing a zoom box.

However, I realize that not all mapping software uses the RMB for panning, so I think it would be good to add this as an option. It would only swap the pan and zoom box functionality. The RMB would still be used for opening the context menu when clicking on a flight or a controller, since that's been standard functionality in Windows since day one.

• Thanks 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 months later...
Bobby Melton
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

This option has been added in v1.2.0-beta.1, which is now released.

https://vatspy.rosscarlson.dev

With this update I can no longer scroll and pan at the same time (right click and scroll wheel) , is this intended?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Bobby Melton said:

With this update I can no longer scroll and pan at the same time (right click and scroll wheel) , is this intended?

Yes, that is intentional.

David Lambert
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, David Lambert said:

I too make the mistake of clicking and holding the left mouse button to move the map extremely frequently, so being able to re-assign or even disable the left mouse button zoom functionality would be quite a time saver for me. Unfortunately, just about every other software I'm in regular contact with uses LMB for drag and RMB for zoom and object selection functionality.

Obviously this is something that is a very personal requirement, and I confess, only asked for because, no matter how many times I try to rewire my brain I end up zooming in to an area instead of dragging to locate the area of my destination. The coding behind adding a preferences menu is by its nature potentially a big task, depending on how the code is structured, so I'm adding my voice to Shawn's request to let you know that you would be keeping at least two people happy by adding this as a possible future feature.

Thanks for VatSpy. I am a frequent user and appreciate it as it is too 🙂

Can I just say a big THANK YOU for adding the button swap facility! This makes such a big difference to me. Your work on this program is really appreciated! Thank you 🙂

Chriss Klosowski
Posted
Posted

One quick thing with this update I can no longer zoom in or out on my laptop with the trackpad gestures. Or is there any alternative for this?

CHRISS KLOSOWSKI
Division Director, VATSIM Middle East & North Africa  
VATSIM Network Senior Supervisor, Team 5
##  [email protected] 
##
 http://vatsim.me/    

1185353147_Signature(1).png.e6818c4256541cb309a1888bad7c9d33.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Chriss Klosowski said:

One quick thing with this update I can no longer zoom in or out on my laptop with the trackpad gestures. Or is there any alternative for this?

I didn't change anything in that regard. Zooming is still done with the mouse wheel. Trackpad zooming still works fine for me on my laptop.